Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Loch Lomond - a beautiful location with lots to see and do

VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
edited August 2016 in Scotland's countryside
Loch Lomond is beautiful!  I have been lucky enough to live and work in this amazing part of the country for over 13 years now and I never get fed up of the sight of Ben Lomond as I approach the Balloch iCentre in the morning.  I took this picture at Loch Lomond Shores in Balloch...it's only a ten minute walk from my work to this stunning view!!!!!

Loch Lomond can easily be reached by public transport from Glasgow, and by car:

Trains depart from Glasgow Queen Street train station (or Glasgow Central on a Sunday) every 30 minutes for Balloch Central and the journey to Balloch takes around 50 minutes. The West Highland Line also stops off at Arrochar & Tarbet Station and Ardlui at the northern end of the Loch.
First Bus (1 and 1A) operate regular services to Balloch although the train is usually the quickest option.  Scottish Citylink (services for Oban, Fort William/Skye and Campbeltown) also run along the western shore of Loch Lomond stopping on the A82 at various points along the way.  Local buses depart from Balloch for the villages of Drymen/Balmaha (bus 309) and Luss (bus 305).  You can also plan your journey around Loch Lomond using the handy Traveline Scotland planner.
By Car, Loch Lomond is connected by the A82 from the north and south, and by the A811 from Stirling. 

There are so many great things to see and do here on Loch Lomond so why not have a look at this guide of top 10 things to do whilst in the area.

What are your favourite things to do on Loch Lomond?
What are your favourite spots on the Loch to explore?  

Also, if you need any advice or info...please feel free to ask!!  :) 

Comments

• VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited August 2016
    Balloch is a wonderful day trip from Edinburgh too, on the train, nice and easy.
  • mustseescotlandmustseescotland VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    We spent a few days exploring Loch Lomond and then wrote about the less-well known Loch Lomond facts!  Enjoy these did-you-knows (some are a bit wacky!)
    ( such as  - did you know that Captain Haddock, Tintin’s best friend in the famous Belgian cartoon and story series drank a whisky brand called “Loch Lomond". Blistering barnacles! )
    Loch Lomond looking north at Firkin Point.

The Scotland guide, written by Gilbert and Johanna Summers - lifetime Scottish tourism experts, so you get the best vacation.
    www.must-see-scotland.com

• VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Love your blog @mustseescotland!  Did you know that there is also an island on Loch Lomond that is home to a family of wallabies!!  I have never been lucky enough to see them.  :(  Has anyone else?
  • DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    My favourite place is Inchcailloch island and would love to camp there. I've not explored the other islands yet but would love to see the wallabies @visitscotlandangela! My friend seen them about nine or ten years ago. She wondered if they were still there?

Imagine exploring an island you've never been to before, you hear a noise in the woods, expecting a Scottish deer and a wallaby jumps out! lol

I also just love walking around and exploring new walks. I've still to climb Conic Hill and finish Ben Lomond. Now that I'm fitter I should be able to get to the top next time!

We've camped at Cashel campsite many times, with beautiful views across the loch and sunsets that would melt your heart.

Sunset views from Cashel Campsite

I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
  • travelswithakilttravelswithakilt VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    Echo the positivity around Loch Lomond - it's always been a favourite of mine too. Particularly love walking Ben Lomond, The Dumping and Conic Hill for great views. Wallabies is a new one on me, need to check this out!
    Scotland travel blogger and writer with a wee bit of photography and video thrown in. Love nothing more than exploring my home country and have a particular leaning towards the outdoors, history and our national drink.

You can also find me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Tumblr.
  • mustseescotlandmustseescotland VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    Love your blog @mustseescotland!  Did you know that there is also an island on Loch Lomond that is home to a family of wallabies!!  I have never been lucky enough to see them.  :(  Has anyone else?

Thanks VisitScotlandAngela - yes, we knew about them but not seen them. Last time I was on Loch Lomond - I did a speedboat tour with the wonderful team at Portnellan Farm - and we saw a white deer on one of the islands!! - it was a great trip. (They do weddings, glamping and rear organic beef - it is really interesting and in a great location)
    The Scotland guide, written by Gilbert and Johanna Summers - lifetime Scottish tourism experts, so you get the best vacation.
    www.must-see-scotland.com

I love all of your amazing comments about Loch Lomond and I totally agree that the eastern shore of Loch Lomond has some of the best walks and viewpoints!

Has anyone ever explored the more remote northern shore of Loch Lomond? Last year I took a ferry from Tarbet over to Inversnaid and cycled to Stronachlacher (on Loch Katrine). I have to admit that I walked my bicycle up the very steep hill at the start, but as I was half way up the hill some feral goats started to wonder along with me!!  Amazing!!  The Arklet Falls were also awesome!!
  • FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    Heading to Balmaha this weekend - really looking forward to it as I don't know that part of the world very well - hoping to climb Ben Lomond if the weather is kind.
    Hi @Fofoma If you're passing by Balloch on your way to Ben Lomond, pop into Balloch iCentre for a free map and guide of the area! The weather forecast for the weekend looks great so I'm sure you will enjoy your walk and the amazing views!!
  • FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks @VisitScotlandAngela - I will certainly try to pop in and say Hi!
  • nettie101nettie101 Member ✭✭
    I totally agree that Loch Lomond is such a beautiful place, I am lucky to stay near, I popped down last weekend to see some of the Great Scottish Swim the atmosphere was brilliant
  • nettie101nettie101 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    What beautiful pictures of Cashel @DMWScotland makes me want to revisit soon
    nettie101 said:
    What beautiful pictures of Cashel @DMWScotland makes me want to revisit soon
    Thanks @nettie101. It's a great wee campsite isn't it. I love getting up in the morning to those views! And the sunset at night. Makes me want to go back too lol! :) 
    edited September 2016
    If you haven't visited the eastern shore of Loch Lomond yet, have a look at the new video blog on the Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park website! Check out the amazing view from the top of the Conic Hill!!  <3

• VisitScotlandEstherVisitScotlandEsther Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited September 2016
    Here's another lovely video by @CroppedWorld of Loch Lomond and Balmaha, with some gorgeous timelapse sequences covering a day from dawn to dusk. There are many more lovely videos on his YouTube channel.
    Beautiful and so relaxing @CroppedWorld. Brilliant video, well done :)
  • Is it possible to kitesurfing on parts of Loch Lomond?
    Hi @Shivvy89!  

There are lots of companies on Loch Lomond that offer different water based activities but I have not heard of any that offer kitesurfing, although it sound s like great fun! :) You could try Loch Lomond Wakeboard  or Loch Lomond Leisure Scotland who both offer wakesurfing...perhaps they would be able to assist you in kitesurfing?

If you have your own equipment there is no reason that you wouldn't be able to enjoy kitesurfing on Loch Lomond!  Let me know how you get on!
  • VisitScotlandMarinaVisitScotlandMarina Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited September 2016

Hi @Shivvy89 Welcome to the community. 

I’ve spoken to the guys at Kitesurf Scotland and they said that because of the location and surroundings, it’s not ideal for kite surfing – not enough wind I’m afraid! 

But check our Watersports page too and @VisitScotlandAngela's suggestions too!