Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Day trip from Inverness to Eilean Donan Reasonable?

Hello All!
 My husband and I find that we will have an extra free day in Inverness. We will have already been to Culloden and Cowdor Castle and we thought we might take a drive over to Eileen Donan. Is this a reasonable day trip and would it be worth the time? We will have a car so there is no need to worry about public transport. Thanks for your help!

Comments

• VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Sounds like a good idea. It would only take a couple of hours either way and you could make a round trip.

You could drive along Loch Ness (A82-A887-A87) one way

and take in part of the North Coast 500 route (A890-A832-A835-A832 through Muir of Ord and across River Beauly-A862) back to Inverness

or vice versa.
  • willmackenziewillmackenzie Member ✭✭
    @akbutters, you'll have a great trip. I've driven this route myself a number of times - it's not much more than 1.5hrs each way.

You could even go one better and visit Skye, up to Portree perhaps, as this is just after Eilean Donan and all told around a 2.5 hour drive from Inverness. Lunch by the Portree harbour and maybe a trip to the Fairy Pools on the way home, having visited Eilean Donan in the morning might well be a day trip you live to never forget :smile:
    Edinburgh | Highlands of Scotland | Part-time explorer
    > My Instagram
  • akbuttersakbutters Member
    @willmackenzie I hadn't thought of going to Skye. That sounds like quite a lovely day :-) Thanks for the wonderful suggestion!

@VisitScotlandJulie Your route suggestion sounds fantastic!! 

Thank you both!
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    It's definitely worth a visit and easily doable on a day trip. The castle is beautiful and the area around it too.  If you have time I'd suggest visiting the village of Plockton nearby.  As a habitual road tripper I've travelled some crazy distances when I've got carried away on road trips. In January we day tripped from Nairn and ended up lunching in John O'Groats 133 miles away!  
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors.