Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Only during the Festivals… pop-ups and surprises

VisitScotlandEstherVisitScotlandEsther Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
edited August 2016 in Events and festivals

I love this time of year, when Edinburgh is stuffed full of performers and bursting with festival-goers.

At the same time, it seems that everywhere you look there’s a pop-up bar, a stage, or an ordinarily inconspicuous building that suddenly opens its doors to the public and becomes a multi-room venue.

I love the tiny secret outdoor garden that you access from the very end of the walkway above Victoria Street. Last year they did lovely crepes and coffee. There’s a great view over the rooftops of the Old Town and it’s a favourite spot for camera crews to conduct interviews with acts making a splash at the Festivals.

Has anyone spotted any exciting pop-ups this year? I'll post pictures of everything I find this weekend.

Comments

• willmackenziewillmackenzie Member ✭✭
    Less of a pop-up and perhaps more of a move which hasn't been fully 'found' by the masses, the BBC site has relocated to George Heriot's School and it's wicked.

The walkway in (opposite Quartermile) is a curving path through shrubs and bushes, beautifully lit by large lightbulbs, and when you arrive at the main venue you are greeted by a fantastic view of the school (the inspiration behind Hogwarts, many way) and an indoor/outdoor astroturfed bar area and music stage. Because I was there at around 10:40pm I was lucky enough to see the Military Tattoo's fireworks set off with and with the castle in the foreground, it was a stunning location to have a beer, listen to live music and spend time with friends.

Looking forward to exploring more this week in the search of the little pop-ups you're looking for too :smile:
    Edinburgh | Highlands of Scotland | Part-time explorer
    > My Instagram