Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Walking/climbing places to take young children

Hi everyone im planning a break to Scotland and was wondering where is ideal to go climbing or walking with small children one in a stroller. Any other outdoor ideas would also be helpful. Oldest child is 4 years old he doesnt mind walking if theres things to see along the way, he loves forest walks that sort of thing but i want him to experience the mountains. Big wide open spaces without having to keep a look out for cars is what im looking for we've had a few of those kind of days out where we live and on other holidays. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated thanks guys.

Comments

• PufflingPuffling Member ✭✭

Hello @susib81

RSPB Scotland has a lot of reserves all around Scotland to explore and has have places that you can let the kids run around.  Not quite mountains but Loch Leven nature reserve (about 45 mins north of Edinburgh) has a great den making area, places to explore in the woods and natural play areas as well as a serious uphill path if you are looking for views and are willing to push the stroller up!  The wee one can also explore - great place to let the kids muck around in nature.

Have a good holiday

• LeodhasachLeodhasach Member ✭✭
    When you say 'climbing' do you mean proper rock climbs are you more generally talking about uphill walks? With apologies if that's pendantic!

For climbing, one of the friendliest wee places you'll find is Benny Beg in Crieff. It's perfect for kids and there's a great little cafe in the garden centre a few hundred metres away. 

Ben A'an in the Trossachs is another good option (I walked up that with my daughter on my back when she was a few months old), it's relatively straightforward with great views from the top. And summit crags are regularly used for climbing/scrambling. 

The Ice Factor in Kinlochleven is a good place to visit if you want to do something adventurous but within safe environs. It's the perfect rainy day place if your 4 year old needs to blow off some steam. Stick him up on the auto belay on the climbing wall and let him tire himself out!
    For music reviews and previews in Inverness and the Highlands: http://invernessgigs.co.uk/
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/@leodhasach
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Schiehallion is rocky and wouldn't cope with a push chair.  They do say it's wheelchair accessible but I have my doubts.  Even the well constructed path which covers approx the first 2/3 of the mountain is rocky and uneven.  The top third of the mountain is a boulder field, totally covered in large, loose boulders. It's hard going to walk over. 

Ben A'an is stunning. A fairly easy hike as is Conic Hill by Loch Lomond. Both have beautiful views.  Neither have a smooth path you could push a stroller right to the top of though. 

If it's a small hill to amuse young children you're looking for Doon Fairy Hill by Aberfoyle is worth a visit.  It's a short climb and you'll find lots of little fairy houses dotted around the woods. At the top there a cloot tree.  It's a magical place. 

In Edinbugh Sailsbury Crags have a path and a lovely view.  Some of the trails in the Pentland Hills too would be fine for a pushchair. 

@susib81

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    P.s.  You'll get no better feel for mountains and wide open spaces than in Corrie Fee in Angus.  The path to it should be pushchair friendly and the mountain corrie scenery at the end of the woodland walk there is spectacular. Well worth a visit. @susib81

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors.