Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Quirky places to watch a movie

VisitScotlandNikkiVisitScotlandNikki Administrator, VisitScotland Staff
Experiencing new worlds, unusual characters and great stories on the big screen is always fun, but if you can do it in a quirky cinema as well, it's twice as much fun!

Edinburgh is home to the Dominion Cinema, much loved for it's reclining seats and sofas, and art-deco style building.

But there's plenty of other unusual cinemas across Scotland - what's been your favourite film-watching experience?

Comments

• VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    The Hippodrome Cinema in Bo'ness (near Linlithgow) is a faithfully restored building that dates back to 1912. It hosts the wonderful Festival of Silent Cinema every year. Silent film fans come from far and wide to visit the festival - usually in winter or early spring. It is worth going just to see the building itself though.  <3
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    I love the RBS mobile cinema.  Such a great idea to take cinema to Scotland's remoter communities. Seen it in Tobermory a few times. 
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    The Cinema with Soul in Helensburgh is located in the old St. Columba Church on the corner of Sinclair Street and is quite a cool place to see movies - the acoustics are amazing!!
  • OutandaboutElaineOutandaboutElaine Member ✭✭✭
    Early September at the Royal Botanic Gardens Edinburgh you can enjoy an open air cinema experience. Showings: Friday 2nd Star Wars - The Force Awakens, Saturday 3rd Romeo & Juliet and Sunday 4th Jurassic Park.  Popcorn and blankets at the ready  :) <3
  • OutandaboutElaineOutandaboutElaine Member ✭✭✭
    To mark the 10th anniversary of the Da Vinci Code there will be two outdoor screenings of the film at Rosslyn Chapel Friday 23rd & Saturday 24th September.  What a spectacular venue  :) for tickets and further information click here.
  • SoniaVRSoniaVR Member ✭✭
    What about the Brass Monkey pubs? They do screenings on weekdays. Check them out on 14 Drummond St and 362 Leith Walk, next to Pilrig Church
  • SoniaVRSoniaVR Member ✭✭
    And if you trust Scotland's weather, the Edinburgh International Film Festival organises free open air screenings at St Andrew Square.
  • VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Audrey, the charismatic 22-seater Vintage Mobile Cinema, is at the Edinburgh Festival for the first time. Come and see her on George Street (near Assembly Rooms) for cinema and comedy. 
  • VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited August 2016
    Ballater, in Aberdeenshire, has a fanstastic community run mobile film project. Films are shown monthly in the historic Victoria & Albert halls which has a lovely atmosphere. Drinks, snacks available and quite often Ice cream is served too! http://www.ballaterfilms.co.uk/