Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Day out of Edinburgh during festial?

sinead_flemingsinead_fleming Member ✭✭
edited October 2016 in Events and festivals
Hello,

I have my mum and dad over to visit me in Edinburgh next weekend, they are festival first-timers so we will prob do a day of festival fun then a day out of the city. The third day they fly home at about 2 so I was planning on taking them to the Kelpies, but has anyone any ideas/suggestions for a day trip out of Edinburgh for the Sunday? They're keen walkers and up for most things so any suggestions would be appreciated! Prob no more than an hour's drive away please.

Cheers! :smile:

Comments

• VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hello @sinead_fleming

How about a day out in the Pentland Hills on the outskirts of Edinburgh? Lots of different walks, you can park the car and wander around looking at the panoramic views across Edinburgh and beyond. I was there on Sunday morning and it was not at all busy until the afternoon.

A drive to the Borders might be good. You could go to Melrose, visit Melrose Abbey, then on to Abbotsford House. Some nice walks around both those locations and cafes to enjoy.

Also South Queensferry, to the north west of Edinburgh, where you can get a stunning view of the Forth bridges. Take a walk across the Forth Road Bridge for a great experience. It will be a bit busier than usual but there are some lovely walks and boat trips around that area.

• Hello

You might like to head out to East Lothian just a 20 - 30 minute drive away.  Or why not relax and take the train to Dunbar or North Berwick.

The John Muir Way is great for walkers and the route through East Lothian has lots of interesting places to visit along the way.  John Muir's Birthplace is in Dunbar where you can find out all about his life and legacy before setting off to walk part of the route.  The walk itself will take you through some amazing scenery.

North Berwick is a picturesque seaside town with lovely walks along the beach, boat trips to the Bass Rock and the imposing Tantallon Castle perched on a cliff top.

For more information and ideas check out the visiteastlothian.org website.

• All the Lothians offer great opportunities for walking - the beaches in East Lothian are stunning - Yellowcraig is a favourite of ours. In Midlothian, you could visit Rosslyn Chapel and have a great walk in Rosslyn Glen. And West Lothian offers a wonderful variety of country parks such as Beecraig.

More information can be found at:
    www.visiteastlothian.org
    www.visitmidlothian.org.uk
    www.visitwestlothian.co.uk

You could also try to get across to Fife  - The Fife Coastal Path is wonderful, too!
    www.fifecoastalpath.co.uk

In any case, have fun!
  • sinead_flemingsinead_fleming Member ✭✭
    Thanks everyone! Great suggestions :)