Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Heavenly ice-cream - what's your favourite?

Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2016 in General Discussion
It was summer in Scotland yesterday so we headed to the beautiful Ravensheugh Beach in East Lothian.

On our way home we stopped for that Scottish summer seaside staple - chips from the excellent North Berwick Fry and ice-cream from the award winning Alanda's Gelateria.  I can safely say it's the best ice-cream I've ever eaten in Scotland.  2 scoops (humungous) Ferrero Rocher and Bounty. Adventurous for me as I'm a mint choc chip die hard.  I holiday in Italy every summer and have always stood by the conviction that we just don't do ice-cream like that back home.  Turns out we do and it's every bit as good. 

Does anyone else have have any favourite places for ice-cream in Scotland? 

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

Comments

• mustseescotlandmustseescotland VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    it's got to be the Cullen Ice Cream Shop in Cullen - on A98 - in Moray. Traditional sweeties and lots of flavours ( but vanilla is best!!)

The Scotland guide, written by Gilbert and Johanna Summers - lifetime Scottish tourism experts, so you get the best vacation.
    www.must-see-scotland.com

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    The old favourite Luca's ice cream (Musselburgh and Edinburgh shops, many vans and stockists) have a really good range although personally I find their strawberry ice cream lacks in flavour. I make a better one at home! We have a range for sale in the Edinburgh iCentre on Princes Street (including I'rn Brew sorbet!) in individual pots if anyone fancies trying it.
  • VisitScotlandMarinaVisitScotlandMarina Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I love Renaldo's in Ayr! Loads of flavours to choose from but I'm a bit boring and tend to stick to Vanilla although I did try the banana flavour last week - delicious!
  • Manders1974Manders1974 Member
    Mannerstons just outside Linlithgow is my favourite place for ice cream...all home made and different flavours nearly every week, they have also won loads of awards for it  
  • Mary's Milk Bar in Edinburgh's Grassmarket is just the place to go - Mary and her team come up with the most wonderful flavour combinations. And if you are over the water in Fife, no trip is complete without a big serving of Janetta's ice cream in St Andrews. Yum!
  • VisitScotlandKimVisitScotlandKim Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Great recommendation @GirlFridayScotland, I love the unusual flavours at Mary's Milk Bar  <3 a bit off-season, but they did Mince Pie flavour at Christmas time and it was delicious!
  • We've a number of fantastic ice-cream parlours in Fife: perhaps our most recent sample was at Crail Food Festival in June, where Janetta's made a special Sevillian marmalade (produced by Wild Fig) and Glengoyne malt whisky flavour for the occasion! Double yum! @GirlFridayScotland
    Festivals Development Officer at Fife Council / Festivals In Fife Coordinator 
    http://www.welcometofife.com/things-to-do
  • @Graham_Webster - totally agree - the Crail Food Festival marmalade and whisky ice cream was amazing. Must pop along and see if they still do it!
  • bcedinburghbcedinburgh Member ✭✭
    I'm a Luca's ice cream fan too - go to the one in Morningside -  - i really like the strawberry :)

• allyally Member
    visocchi's in Broughty Ferry 

• VisitScotAnnieroseVisitScotAnnierose Member, Administrator, Moderator
    For me, it's got to be Sticky Toffee from Cream o' Galloway
  • xb130xb130 Member
    Wendy's on Hamilton Place, Stockbridge.  Delicious, and big scoops too!
  • ZiggyZiggy Member
    So far nothing beats Giacopazzi's in Eyemouth, but I am looking hard ;) That's a top chippy too. 

Travel blogger and web developer. Follow for all the essentials from #Scotland and everything loosely related to travel. Better 1/2 of @scotraveloholic ;;)
    www.scotlandtraveloholic.co.uk

• FunkyEllas_TravelFunkyEllas_Travel VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    We've a number of fantastic ice-cream parlours in Fife: perhaps our most recent sample was at Crail Food Festival in June, where Janetta's made a special Sevillian marmalade (produced by Wild Fig) and Glengoyne malt whisky flavour for the occasion! Double yum! @GirlFridayScotland
    I was there last year where I sampled their seaweed ice cream! It was..... Interesting! Love their selection in the St Andrews shop though - the raspberry is amazing. 
    Nicola Holland
    Scottish Travel writer/blogger.
    Ask me anything about Scotland including eating and drinking, travelling with the family, history, the cities and the countryside.
    You can follow me here
    Blog|Twitter|Facebook| Instagram
  • FunkyEllas_TravelFunkyEllas_Travel VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I went to Cream o Galloway a few weeks ago and their ice cream is delicious! They also have a really good visitor centre and do tours of the farm. There is even a big adventure playground out the back 
    Nicola Holland
    Scottish Travel writer/blogger.
    Ask me anything about Scotland including eating and drinking, travelling with the family, history, the cities and the countryside.
    You can follow me here
    Blog|Twitter|Facebook| Instagram
    @FunkyEllas_Travel I love it here too!! Had great fun on the bouncy nets and an ice cream to finish off!! I had the honeycomb flavour!!
    I'm a Luca's ice cream fan too - go to the one in Morningside -  - i really like the strawberry :)

I'll need to go here one day with my nephew! He's called Luca!!! 
  • OutandaboutElaineOutandaboutElaine Member ✭✭✭
    Stonehaven has a couple of great ice-cream shops with lots of options! 

St Andrews also has a few great ice-cream shops.
  • VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited August 2016
    Bicocchi's Ice Cream Parlour in Fraserburgh is amazing!!! The range of Ice Cream they have on offer is huge! My favourite is Salted Caramel, delicious!!!  :) <3
  • VanessaVanessa Member ✭✭
    Jannetta's in St Andrews is great! 
  • ElaineRElaineR VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    @Samantha_Grant   There's nothing nicer than a nougat wafer from an ice cream van (often fondly referred to as the 'Icey') which is usually parked by a beach on sunny summer days. The vans turn up in the most unexpected places sometimes!

For shop-bought ice cream, I can highly recommend Kelly's Berry Eton Mess - yum!

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Oh that looks amazing. Jealous. @ElaineR
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• ShetlandSophShetlandSoph Member ✭✭
    S Luca ice cream (in Morningside, Edinburgh) has some amazing flavours although my favourite has to be the mint choc chip! Ice cream made a bit nearer to home would have to be Orkney ice cream which I usually find on-board the Northlink ferry, however definitely not something to eat if the seas are choppy! 
  • I love Renaldo's in Ayr! Loads of flavours to choose from but I'm a bit boring and tend to stick to Vanilla although I did try the banana flavour last week - delicious!
    Completely agree Marina :smiley:. Their Irn Bru ice cream is amazing and great for a hangover :wink:
  • VisitScotlandAmyVisitScotlandAmy Administrator
    Aunt Betty's in Stonehaven is fab, and they do lots of toppings as standard! There's always a queue out the door on a sunny day, but it's definitely worth the wait :) 

They also do doggie treats! 
  • LauramacLauramac Member ✭✭
    Caldwells in Peebles/Innerleithen in the Scottish Borders is great. They do quirky icecreams like Irn-bru and Cream soda....yummmmm
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Had to pop back to this post to add a wee shoutout to Aboyne Ices in beautiful Royal Deeside.  Not only were our vanilla 99s with old school raspberry sauce delicious on a hot summer afternoon our wee dug was delighted with his free tub and wolfed it down in record time. Thank you

• VisitScotlandKimVisitScotlandKim Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Luca's also have a kiosk on Portobello promenade - great place to stop for an ice cream while walking along the beach! 
  • We love ice cream and two favourites are - Stewart Tower Dairy in Perthshire and Orkney Ice Cream (Lemon Meringue or Rhubarb and Custard!)
    Donnie
    Your Scottish Tour
    Tour Website: www.yourscottishtour.com
    Food Blog: www.theboyseatscotland.scot
    Twitter: @boyseatscotland
    Instagram: @boyseatscotland
  • Jason666Jason666 Member
    We used to drive to Alloa for ice-cream,  think it must be Orlandis?? I can't remember but we drove from Ashfield north of Dunblane to get it