Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Camping in Glencoe Highlands

Friendly and inviting: Glencoe!

To experienced and non-campers alike, I found that a great place to explore are the mountains of Glencoe.

-Glencoe and River Coe

When you arrive in Glencoe only 5 minutes up the road is the Red Squirrel campsite which is the perfect place to pitch your tent. The Glencoe Village and Ballachulish village close-by you have access to small shops for food. Ft William is about 20 minutes away from Glencoe which offers lots to see and provides a nice change of scenery to a camper with access to a varied range of highland tourist shops, retailer, pubs and restaurants.

In terms of camping you can pitch your tent in various places, but personally I would choose the red squirrel.
It has a lot of facilities and accepts caravans also! Pitch you tent next to the River coe and make a fire.

Find out more: www.redsquirrelcampsite.co.uk

Another five minute walk from the campsite is the extraordinary pub, The Clachaig Inn. They do food and drink while they also provide rooms for staying. Band / soloist performances take place regularly. More details are below on the website. Remember to take a torch if you go late at night or you wont be finding your tent any time soon. No light pollution in the highlands!

Clachaig Inn Glencoe

Find out more: www.clachaig.com

There are many beautiful views, activities close by and walks to take... Kinlochleven village is about 10 minutes from the Red Squirrel which has a hydro-electric dam and various easy and hard nature walks. I recommend the stornaway haggis supper from the fish and chip shop there which would be worth a try before returning to the  - Bliss!

Find out more: www.glencoeactivities.com

If you have kids or are interested in Harry Potter the train they used in the film is available to ride for a price not far from Glencoe. It really is a beautiful part of the highlands of Scotland. Photos don't always paint the truest picture of Glencoe in my opinion. You should judge this for yourself rain sleet or sunshine!

An atmosphere of its own; distinct from anywhere else in Scotland. That is why I would camp in Glencoe.

Where wit may sparkle all its rays,
Uncurs’d with caution’s fears;
That pleasure, basking in the blaze, Rejoice for endless years. (R.B)

Comments

• VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I once camped at Red Squirrel and loved it. Amazing atmosphere.
  • BertVerninskBertVerninsk Member ✭✭
    I couldn't recommend it enough. Brilliant times had there and the claighaig. As you said the atmosphere is amazing - spot on friendly Scottish campsite. If you are a camper or hill walker/climber enthusiast this is the base-camp for you in the highlands imoh. 
  • BertVerninskBertVerninsk Member ✭✭
    @VisitScotlandJulie What did you get up to in Glencoe that made you camp at the Red squirrel?
  • VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @BertVerninsk it was just a short camping trip from Edinburgh to Skye and Glencoe on the way back.
  • Johnny5Johnny5 Member ✭✭

Presumably it`s called Red Squirrel campsite because there are Red Squirrels there?

We almost stayed there once but as my Mrs uses a nebuliser we needed a electric hook up. (We were motorhome newbies back then and we`re more organised now)

We moved on to a site in Glencoe which resulted in one of the best sunset photographs I`ve ever taken.