Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Suggestions on itinerary for Glasgow-Skye-Inverness-Aviemore-Glasgow for August 2016

Dear friends,
Kindly give feedback for the following itinerary for Glasgow-Skye-Inverness-Aviemore-Glasgow. I have planned for a 3N-3D for two persons.
Legend :
== : Rail Line
~~ : Ferry Ride
||| : Coach Line
Local Travel: Highland Rover Travel Pass

1D : 27th August (Saturday) Early Morning Glasgow  ==  Mallaig ~~ Armadale ||| Broadford-Sligachan-Portnalong => Reach Skyewalker Hostel
1N : Rest
2D : 28th August (Sunday) Local Sightseeing
2N : Stargazing
3D : 29th August (Monday) Early Morning Portnalong ||| Kyle of Lochalsh == Inverness == Aviemore ||| Glasgow
3N : Reach the airport for boarding flight to London
4D : 30th August (Tuesday)Early morning Board flight to London

I intend to use the Highland Rover Pass which covers most of the local travel except within the isle of skye and the return stretch from Aviemore to Glasgow. I would be happy to take suggestions from the localites or experienced travellers on the feasibility of such a tight itinerary as above.

For bookkeeping, the expenses are listed below per person. Please highlight hidden costs if any.
Local Travel expenses:
HighLand Rover Pass : 81.50 pound (covers Glasgow-Armadale and Kyle of Lochalsh- Aviemore stretches)
Armadle to Portnalong : ??
Portnalong to Kyle of Lochalsh : ??
Aviemore to Glasgow : 27

Local Accommodation expenses :
Skyewalker Hostel (17 pound pppni): 17 x 2 = 34 pound

Local food :
Rough estimate per day : ??
For 3 days :

Total expenses for 3N-3D

thank you
Tagged:

Comments

• VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited August 2016
    Hello @Sreekar, that seems possible to me.

For the cost of food, I could get by on £10 a day for sustenance, but if you would like to eat out in a restaurant or in cafes, I would estimate at least £20 a day - it depends how creative you are with money  ;)

For estimating costs and timetables for journeys on a specific day travelinescotland.com is a useful planner tool.
    Armadale to Portnalong by bus will cost £6 for a single journey
    Portnalong to Kyle of Lochalsh on 29 August requires 2 bus journeys and would be a similar cost. Please take a look at Traveline Scotland as it will provide all the detailed information you need. Please keep in mind that there are not frequent journeys around some more remote parts of Scotland and you may have to be more flexible with your plan.

And if you need some help on your travels, you are welcome to visit the local iCentres around Scotland. You can find their location at the VisitScotland website map:
    https://www.visitscotland.com/about/practical-information/vic/

But most of all, enjoy your trip! I'm sure you will. :)