Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Does anybody know this forest ?

years ago, I have been visiting Scotland and we did a hike to a mountain, that led

through a forest. There, along the path, were stumps (of trees), where we could read

about historical events, related to the annual rings of the trees. 

I would like to recommend it to somebody, but do not remember the name of the area. 

Can anybody tell me where it is ? 

Comments

• MaryQMaryQ Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Hello horselover. Intriguing!  Can you give us a clue?  Where were you when you started the hike?  Can you remember the name of any nearby town?  Were you travelling all over Scotland or in a particular area (north/south...)?   
  • antisbarrantisbarr Member
    Hi Horselover,

Were you perhaps in the forest near Aviemore ?

The Forestry Commission had at one time a large cross section from a tree and it had listed on the annular rings the dates of events that happened then.

It was next to Loch-an-Eilein visitors centre. Part of the Rothiemurchus Forest.
  • DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    @horselover I tried searching Google for you yesterday to see if I could find out anything about this walk ... alas, nothing. Would really need to know what area it is or what mountain you climbed. Or do you have photos? :)
    I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitter and Instagram  :)