Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Favourite Scottish Lighthouse

Lighthouses can be the most photogenic buildings, as well as the most dramatic. 

What's your favourite lighthouse in Scotland? 

I love the Elie Lighthouse and also the Robert Stevenson Lighthouse on the Isle of May

Comments

• VisitScotlandNikkiRVisitScotlandNikkiR Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @John_WelcometoFife my favorite lighthouse is the Ardnamurchan Lighthouse, this lighthouse was designed and built by Alan Stevenson in 1849 and sits on the most westerly point on the uk mainland. The views from the top of the lighthouse on a clear day are magical. 
  • DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I love Ardnamurchan lighthouse @VisitScotlandNikkiR! It was the first one I'd ever seen. I remember the first time I visited about 10 years ago. It felt kind of spooky as my other half had been telling me lighthouse ghost stories lol.

He also camped/caravanned near Ardnamurchan Point every year with his parents as a child and remembers the haunting foghorn when they were manually operated. It woke them up a lot!

You can also rent out the Lighthouse Keeper's cottage! I hope to do that one year. It would be an atmospheric place to stay for a few days!

Mull of Galloway lighthouse is pretty amazing too!

In fact, I think any lighthouse is an amazing piece of architecture sitting on the edge of our stunning coastline. @John_WelcometoFife

I have some old photos, not the best quality though.

Ardnamurchan Lighthouse

The haunting alarm clock called Fog Horn and the whale watching room

Mull of Galloway Lighthouse

I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
    @DMWScotland fantastic photos :) 
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    I love Lismore Lighthouse as when I see it I know I'm not far from my favourite place in Scotland - Mull. 
    Also love Tobermory Lighthouse which you get a great view of from the CalMac Kilchoan to Tobermory route. 
    The wee one on the beach at Ardgour by the Corran Ferry has lovely green and red coloured glass in it. 
    Ardnamurchan is a must even if it's just to experience that final narrow stretch of road with the wee set of traffic lights. 

One of the the most dramatic I saw was clinging precariously to the edge of the Isle of Islay surrounded by a wall. Gave me the heebie jeebies just looking at it!

St Abbs is worth a visit too as the walk to the lighthouse is gorgeous. 

They're lovely buildings and so photogenic. Love them. 
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• ElaineRElaineR VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    @VisitScotlandNikkiR @Samantha_Grant ;@John_WelcometoFife ;I visited St Abbs Head recently - the lighthouse and its fog horn set high upon the spectacular sea cliffs were both looking stunning!

• IreneGIreneG Member ✭✭
    The  Lighthouse at Kilnaughton Bay Islay , Carraig Fhada is very unusual and well worth a visit ! It's unique design consists of two attached square towers . Lovely beach and walks around here . Go every year when I visit Islay ! 
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Great photo - That's a beautiful walk at St Abb's to see the lighthouse.  I love the foghorn too.  I grew up close to the Firth of Forth in Edinburgh and used to love the sound of them as a child.  Haunting but it always made me feel safe and warm at home. @elainer
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• VisitScotlandLyndsayVisitScotlandLyndsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I'd say Dunnet Head lighthouse. Dunnet Head is Scotland's most northerly mainland and when you visit the lighthouse you really do feel as if you have reached the edge of the world! You can take a short walk down towards the cliff edges, and if you are brave enough take a peek down below  :o. Also on the drive back from the lighthouse look left along the cliffs and you will see the Stacks of Duncansby! (the big one is called muckle stack and the small one is called peedie stack :D )
    Great photo - That's a beautiful walk at St Abb's to see the lighthouse.  I love the foghorn too.  I grew up close to the Firth of Forth in Edinburgh and used to love the sound of them as a child.  Haunting but it always made me feel safe and warm at home. @elainer
    I use to live on the Firth of Forth coast too when I was young and I remember sitting in my room late at night listening to the fog horn blasting out, helping to guide shops safely through the firth  - as you say, a very nostalgic haunting sound from times gone by and such a shame that they are no more
    I'd say Dunnet Head lighthouse. Dunnet Head is Scotland's most northerly mainland and when you visit the lighthouse you really do feel as if you have reached the edge of the world! You can take a short walk down towards the cliff edges, and if you are brave enough take a peek down below  :o. Also on the drive back from the lighthouse look left along the cliffs and you will see the Stacks of Duncansby! (the big one is called muckle stack and the small one is called peedie stack :D )
    Spectacular coast line!
  • SoniaVRSoniaVR Member ✭✭
    I love the Neist Point lighthouse in the Isle of Skye. Worth the walk to the very far end for the amazing views!
    @John_WelcometoFife here's a shot of the Mull of Kintyre lighthouse with its walled garden and helipad that I took last week - the single track road to get to the lighthouse is rather long and torturous, as is the final steep descent which has to be done on foot, making for a rather steep climb to return to the car park, but it's worth it
  • MattMatt Member
    edited October 2016
    Ardnamurchan is my favourite, but a left field alternative would be Rattray Head, Aberdeenshire.  

I've tried posting a pic but "I have to be around here a while longer before I'm allowed to do that". 
  • travelswithakilttravelswithakilt VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    Cape Wrath is up there for me - incredibly remote and dramatic. Also loved the long drive down the Mull of Galloway. Great way to tie in some of D&G's top historical attractions and catch a fantastic sunset if you're lucky!

Scotland travel blogger and writer with a wee bit of photography and video thrown in. Love nothing more than exploring my home country and have a particular leaning towards the outdoors, history and our national drink.

You can also find me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Tumblr.
    @Matt the views from the Ardnamurchan lighthouse for the past couple of weeks have been amazing, hardly a cloud in the sky. The sunsets there are breath taking as well :) 
  • SuleskerrySuleskerry Member ✭✭
    My favourite lighthouse is Start Point on the island of Sanday, part of the Orkney islands. Start Point lighthouse differs from others in Scotland with its black and white vertical stripes, and is on a small island which is only accessible at low tide. It is also a great place to see seals, birds and wildflowers.