Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Isle of Cumbrae

DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
Anyone visted the Isle of Cumbrae?

It's a small flatish island with alot of heart! I've been a few times over the years and I visted again last week (15 July 2016). It was a wet dull foggy day, but myself and a friend still went ahead and walked around the island. We also walked up to the summit called the Glaid Stone (127 metres, 417ft).

14 miles later my legs were not my own lol ;). It was a great walk though, even though our cheeky weather decided to hide all the views that day!

More about Cumbrae

You sail from Largs to Cumbrae (takes around 8 minutes) and if you're a foot passenger you can take the bus to the main town Millport. You'll find very reasonable ferry prices from Calmac.

The island is 10.25 miles around the circular route. You can:
  • Hire bikes and ride around the island (very reasonal prices too)
  • Walk around the island which is fairly flat (anti-clockwise is best)
  • Geocache and find that hidden treasure
  • Spend your day in Millport town and browse the shops and eateries
  • Run around the island if you fancy trying 10 miles and this is great training for a half marathon
  • Walk up to the Glaid Stone summit and admire the views
  • Take a picnic, find a quiet beach somewhere and chill (or buy some local fish and chips!)
The island has lots more to offer so visit www.millport.org for more information.

One thing I noticed last week, the island has lots and lots of benches! So even if you're feeling a bit tired you can rest your weary legs regularly. Some photos of our walk are below:

The fog ...

A bench for 10?

The Glaid Stone summit and the fog.

Millport beach with lots of waves!

Looking across to Millport with little Cumbrae on the left. The Isle of Arran is hiding straight ahead!

Beautiful thistles all around the island.

Lion Rock

There are other rocks on the island too such as crocodile rock and the spooky indian man hiding in the cliffs ... I have photos of these too, but I think I've added too many already!

Feel free to share your own photos of the Isle of Cumbrae :).

Thanks
Dawn-Marie
I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)

Comments