Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Cycling shetland

hi, I am looking to ride the length of the Shetland isles using route 1 of the national cycle network.  Having cycled from Sumburgh to the furthest point north I was wondering if anyone knew if the local buses carry bikes or if there is anyone on Shetland that acts as a 'cycle courier' to take bikes back from the end of route one to Lewick for the ferry?  Many thanks. Cyclelady

Comments

• Robin_Fae_UnstRobin_Fae_Unst Member ✭✭
    Hi @Cyclelady I'm afraid that the buses here don't take bikes (other than folding ones), which is a shame as it does make it a bit difficult for cycle tours. There isn't anyone set up as a cycle courier either unfortunately. You could enquire with Allied Taxis but this could be an expensive option, they can be contacted on +44 (0)1595 690069

If time allows the North Sea Cycle Route offers a circular type of route where just north of Lerwick you can go to the west on the A971 through the village of Bixter and then north along the B9071 to Voe, continue north on the A970 through Brae, along the B9076 to Firth. Then returning south along the A968 and going along the eastern coast on the B9075 through Brettabister & Nesting, back onto the A970 for the last stretch back to Lerwick. Or of course you can do this the other way around (it really depends what the wind is doing to pick which direction is best)

This of course is a longer route but you do get to see a lot more of Shetland's landscape this way.   
    From the island above all others, Unst is Britain's northern most island.
    Shetland is an amazing and unique location to visit and all of us Shetlanders are eager to share our wonderful little part of the world with everyone, so come along & visit us. 
    Join me on my underwater explorations of Shetland at my instagram @rdmouatt ;
  • rusticramblerrusticrambler Member
    Hi - just read your post, and thank you Robin for helpful reply as I hope to cycle this summer.   I wonder did you manage to do your cycle @Cyclelady and how did you get on?