Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Glamping in the Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park

Just back from a fabulous weekend glamping with my hubby in Lochearnhead, in the Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park and just had to share with you all. We booked a fabulous yurt through a lovely lady called Melanie Lewis (www.westerauchrawcroft.com), who could not have been more welcoming and friendly. The yurt itself was wonderful and full of artifacts from her travels around the world, we spent an hour just going through the books and maps and fascinating nick-nacks before we event stepped outside! We were just away for one night so up first thing and off we went! The national park is less than 1hr30 from where we live in the outskirts of Edinburgh so out of the city and into the majestic landscapes of the Trossachs in no time. We stopped off at one of the many picnic spots along the way and enjoyed a cuppa and a sandwich looking over a glorious still lake (Loch Lubnaig) before heading off again to Balquhidder where we visited Balquhidder Churchyard, home of Rob Roy's grave and the site of some fascinating history. 

Behind the church is a walkway up to Creag an Tuirc, which was a rallying place of the MacLaren clan, and has absolutely stunning views over the village of Balquhidder and Loch Voil. The walk was quite steep, not too challenging, and took us about 30 mins to get to the top, but the steep climb was worth it for the views! I would recommend some hiking boots for this walk though. I also saw a cheeky wee red squirrel which I was delighted about (am I the only one to get so excited about red squirrels?).

After a few hours enjoying Balquidder we jumped in the car again and off we went up to Comrie where we took a wander through the village and popped in and out of the many wee local independent shops before heading off to check into the yurt and meet Melanie. On Melanie's recommendation we went back to Balquhidder for dinner to Mhor84, run by her brother, chef Tom Lewis. The food was absolutely amazing; we enjoyed fresh oysters, local lamb and a delicious dessert and the restaurant had a lovely, laid back atmosphere. 

So after a busy day in the Highlands we settled down for the evening in the yurt with some music and a roaring fire courtesy of the wood burning stove, for once I as delighted that it had started to rain outside (although it was dry all day - score!), the sound of the rain outside with the fire inside made it all the more cosy. The next morning after a delicious breakfast of whisky porridge (yum) and freshly laid (that morning, by Mel's hens) poached eggs we set off to do it all again. 

A weekend to remember!

Comments