Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Top 5 Things to do in Edinburgh

VisitScotlandVisitScotland Administrator
edited February 2016 in Scotland's cities and towns

Edinburgh is a hugely interesting and eclectic city with a vibrant social scene and a long and colourful history. Unsurprisingly this means that there is a wide range of attractions and activities to keep you entertained no matter what your interests are or what the weather’s like. From exploring Edinburgh Castle, to colourful street festivals, to quiz nights in a local pub, the list of possibilities is endless!

We’ve pulled together a list of 11 things that you have to do when you’re in Edinburgh. We’ve gone for a fair few of the big hitters as they are, quite rightly, top visitor attractions.

These are just a small fraction of the amazing things on offer in Edinburgh. Over to you – what are your favourite things to do in Edinburgh?

Comments

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Arthur's Seat is one of my favourite spots in town. Such stunning views on a clear day. 
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• FunkyEllas_TravelFunkyEllas_Travel VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    Deans Village, as you drive into Edinburgh from the North, is a beautiful little slice of peace and quiet with some really interesting buildings.
    Nicola Holland
    Scottish Travel writer/blogger.
    Ask me anything about Scotland including eating and drinking, travelling with the family, history, the cities and the countryside.
    You can follow me here
    Blog|Twitter|Facebook| Instagram
  • EdinBloggerEdinBlogger VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    We love hopping on our bikes in Leith and cycling to Stockbridge. The perfect Sunday activity ending with some streetfood at the market. 
    Gary Wood - Blogger at EdinBraw - The Best of Edinburgh
    Passionate about Edinburgh's food and festival scene and slowly starting to explore Scotland. 
    Find me on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook
  • VisitScotlandAlisonVisitScotlandAlison Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    We had a great stay in Edinburgh this weekend and finished off on Sunday morning by walking to the Stockbridge Market for breakfast (opens at 10am) and then on to see the rhododendrons and Wee Sheds at the Botanic Gardens - I could wander round there all day. It's even easy to get the bus back into town opposite the East Gate on Inverleith Row if you can't face the walk back!
  • The Botanic gardens are great on a sunny afternoon.
  • VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Arthur's Seat is a great place but if you don't have the time or energy to climb it you can go up Calton Hill just a 5-10 min walk from the East End of Princes Street. The views across the city and over the Forth are stunning!!
    Walk up Waterloo Place, the take the steps on the left hand side and you are there. You can see the National Monument, Nelson Monument (open to visitors) and Dugald Stewart Monument. There's also the City Observatory but it's not open to the public.
  • herecomesthesunherecomesthesun Member
    edited August 2016
    I personally love the walk up the Royal Mile starting at the Queen's Palace and finishing at the Castle. Not to mention the other winding streets of old town and unique shops, cafes and bars around Victoria Street and the Grassmarket. Some great Harry Potter spots too if you're a fan (Tom Riddle's grave!)
  • VisitScotlandAlisonVisitScotlandAlison Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Give yourself plenty of time to stroll over the next couple of weeks - the Royal Mile is buzzing with visitors, street artists and musicians so progress is slow but very enjoyable!  The lovely weather  means the pavement cafes are thronged too, such a great atmosphere.
  • MDHardingMDHarding Member ✭✭
    The new galleries at the National Museum of Scotland and stunning views from there roof terrace. Don't miss the Celts exhibition ends 25th Sept 2016.