Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Accessible Tourism

johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2016 in General Discussion

Many visitors have access requirements whether or not related to a disability.  There loads of places in Scotland that make it easier for visitors to enjoy our country "by providing the right information and excellent customer service".

In Fife we have a couple of accommodation facilities, the newly built The Rings which is a new accessible holiday accommodation facility near Cupar, and also the award wining Homelands Trust which is purpose-built, accessible self-catering cottages and drop-in centre. 

Many attractions & providers in Fife have access statements including The British Golf Museum, Falkland Palace, Museum of the University of St Andrews, Scottish Fisheries Museum, Rufflets Hotel & more!

Euan’s Guide features disabled access reviews of hotels, restaurants, cinemas, theatres and more by disabled people and their families and friends.

They also did an Accessible Kingdom of Fife itinerary for WelcometoFife: http://www.welcometofife.com/recommended-trip/the-accessible-kingdom-of-fife

Comments

• johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
    It would be great to highlight some places all over Scotland too :smile:
  • VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I like that many of Edinburgh's main attractions are accessible.

I find Royal Yacht Britannia, in Edinburgh, has great accessibility and will do everything to accommodate those with mobility difficulties and other disabilities.

Find out the details at their website:
    http://www.royalyachtbritannia.co.uk/plan-your-visit/your-visit/accessibility/

• The Falkirk Wheel has great accessibility for mobilty difficulties and disabilities, everything is on the flat, mobility scooters and wheelchairs can easily get on and off the barges.
  • SimplyEmmaSimplyEmma Member, VisitScotland Contributor
    I completely agree...Royal Yacht Britannia and Falkirk Wheel have great accessibility. I recently visited RYB and as a wheelchair user couldn't fault it. 

I always thought that because it was a boat that it wouldn't be accessible, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. There were absolutely no barriers to accessibility and I found the friendly staff extremely accommodating.

Access to each level of the Yacht is via a lift. Also one of Britannia’s original lifts is within the Royal Bedroom area, which will take you to the Royal Deck Tea Room. We enjoyed some tea and cakes in the Tea Room while admiring the beautiful view across the water.

There are several accessible toilets throughout RYB, each with plenty of space for wheelchair users and anyone assisting. 

Royal Yacht Britannia is a really enjoyable day out. We were surprised by how much we enjoyed it. Even my 3 yr old nephew had a great time! Highly recommend a visit!

Lifestyle, Travel & Disability Blogger

Blog / IG / FB
  • MogMJMRMogMJMR Member ✭✭
    Up here in Aberdeenshire there are some great accessiable hidden gems!

www.crathieholidays.org.uk is a great accommodation option in Royal Deeside - very scenic.

In terms of visitor attractions:
    peterheadprisonmuseum.com are currently working hard to make most  of the tour accessible - and have has great feedback from local groups of wheelchair users.
    http://www.aberdeenperformingarts.com/access - HMT our theatre in Aberdeen has a great range of touring shows with disabled access right up to the upper circle level - captioned; relaxed and signed performances for most shows.
    https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/duff-house/ Duff House in Banff has a lift to all floors, which is unusual for a Castle/Historic House and is open all year round.
    http://www.aagm.co.uk/Visit/AberdeenMaritimeMuseum/amm-overview.aspx The award winning maritime museum is fully wheelchair accessiable and free!

There are many more  - but these are the highlights in my opinion.
    Hope this helps

Mogmjmr
    Based in the Scottish Borders, Aberdeenshire has a special place in my heart.
  • FunkyEllas_TravelFunkyEllas_Travel VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    I've stayed at the Homelands trust and can vouch that the lodges are fantiastic! So luxurious and warm, they are also huge and have great views. Loved them.
    Nicola Holland
    Scottish Travel writer/blogger.
    Ask me anything about Scotland including eating and drinking, travelling with the family, history, the cities and the countryside.
    You can follow me here
    Blog|Twitter|Facebook| Instagram
  • Disabled Access Day is 10-12 March this year so hopefully that will help highlight all the accessible places around Scotland  :)