Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

what to do with an elderly parent

Hi everyone
I am looking for some inspiration as to how to entertain my 86 yr old Mother once or twice a week. We have been to every coffee shop and garden centre known to woman and I have probably gained a stone in weight ! She is not very mobile so long walks are out of the question...any suggestions would be very gratefully received.

Comments

• edited July 2016
    Hi @Katie - I'm sure lots of people on here will have suggestions :) Where are you based?
  • KatieKatie Member ✭✭
    Sorry forgot to say we are in Glasgow
  • Glasgow has lots of museums which might be worth considering.  You don't even have to do the whole thing in one visit.  With free entry, you can always go back the next time to finish what you missed :)
  • KatieKatie Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your suggestion - will give them a try
  • KatieKatie Member ✭✭
    Sorry / tried and she didn't enjoy  said it wasn't her "thing"
    back to the drawing board  :'(
  • VisitScotlandMiriamVisitScotlandMiriam Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    That's a shame @Katie especially as many museums have great cafes too, but I get it's not everyone's cup of tea!

Have you heard of Sharmanka? It's a mesmerizing theatrical clockwork display at the Trongate 103 arts centre. There are seats available during the performance and a lift to get you to the theatre.  Plenty of cafes nearby too  :) 
    I'm an Edinburgher who works in the VisitScotland Content Team - have you seen our blog?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭
    [Deleted Content]
  • PufflingPuffling Member ✭✭
    RSPB's nature reserve at Lochwinnoch?  You can sit and watch the birds on the feeders from the main centre or have short walk on the paths if you would like.  There is a coffee machine and refreshments for sale but not really tea and cake as such which might help the waste line.  The centre is close to the car park so not too far to walk.
  • KatieKatie Member ✭✭
    Thank you for all replies / have now tried Loch Winnoch and Loch Kattine - she enjoyed both
  • VisitScotlandAlisonVisitScotlandAlison Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited August 2016
    @katie I took my old mum to the Falkirk Wheel which was perfect, very little walking and a nice cafe!
  • [Deleted Content]
  • KatieKatie Member ✭✭
    Falkirk wheel sounds good  thanks  will try it
  • VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    What about the Waverly Paddle Steamer departing from Glasgow? My Mum and Dad did this recently and loved it. It was perfect for my Mum as she had just had an operation so she stayed on the boat taking in the view whilst my Dad hopped off onshore to explore! For more information on the various trips available, sailing times etc you can look at  http://www.waverleyexcursions.co.uk/  :)
  • KatieKatie Member ✭✭
    Thank you ! Didnt know the waverely did that