Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

The Kelpies

VisitScotlandAlisonVisitScotlandAlison Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
I am hoping to visit the Kelpies  by car on Saturday with my elderly mother who will be in a wheelchair.  Any tips from people who have already visited here on how to make the very most of our day?
Tagged:

Best Answers

• VisitScotlandNikkiRVisitScotlandNikkiR Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @VisitScotlandAlison, the visitor center is wheelchair accessible and if you have a blue badge on your car you can park right outside the center. The staff and the guides there are all great and will do everything they can to help you. You can give them a call on 01324 590 600 and they will answer any questions that you may have. Hope you both have a great day out :) 
  • CatzCatz Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    You could also head up to the Falkirk Wheel afterwards, they have easy disabled parking right outside the entrance, a good coffee shop where you can enjoy your coffee and watch the Wheel in action, there is also a gift shop and the VisitScotland Information Centre which is onsite too has information and unique Scottish gifts, they've always been helpful when I've been in.

Callendar House in the area would also be good to visit and is easily accessible.  

A great area to visit - hope you enjoy!
  • HannaniteHannanite Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Take the Tour option. You find out so much more than doing it all on your own. You also get inside the Kelpies. I found the signposted directions slightly lacking when travelling by car so beware.

Answers

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    The Kelpies are really stunning! You can catch a glimpse of them from the motorway (M9) between Edinburgh and Stirling if you don't have time to stop. Car parks at the Kelpies are usually quite busy and you may have to be prepared to walk a bit. You can park at Falkirk stadium and walk too. The grounds to the Kelpies Helix Park are very pretty. Obviously not suitable for people with mobility difficulties though...

• IreneGIreneG Member ✭✭
    The Kelpies are stunning and the facilities are good .For me Personally I like to see them in the evening, twilight is good and when it begins to get dark they are just amazing to see  Great for photographs ! If you can get them at night with reflections in the basin superb ! Been at midsummer 11pm and it wasn't dark clear sky and it was simply magical ! When visiting them try and go at twilight , I can guarantee you will love it ! 
  • grannymuchgrannymuch Member
    I was privileged to see the Kelpies when I went back to Scotland last Year on a visit.They are spectacular,quite an engineering feat,and thrilling to look at.
  • ScotSpirit_94ScotSpirit_94 Member
    edited August 2016
    The Kelpies are absolutely spectacular. We managed to park the car for free at the Falkirk Stadium which was about a mile walk through The Helix Park but it was well worth it when we got to The Kelpies and the new Visitor Centre. Treated ourselves to a coffee and cake as well.
  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    We visited The Kelpies yesterday in amazing sunny weather. They were very impressive. It was our first time there but it won't be the last. We enjoyed a good Coffee & Soup in the visitor centre. I am sure that next time we will take the 1pm inside tour.
    Best regards
    fishypro