Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

How Do I Find Out Which Clan I Belong To?

Tracing your clan has become a popular task – especially if you’re getting into a kilt in the near future. There are a lot of sites out there to help you trace your clan – generally based on your surname or other surnames within your family.

However which ones are best? Who has the most accurate list of associated names?

Does anyone have any advice on how you would find this out?

Comments

• ananyahananyah VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    I've always wanted to know more about my dad's side of my family as my paternal grandfather died before I was born and paternal grandmother died when I was a child. 

The problem I have with a lot of websites is that they can end up being rather ££. If anyone knows any free or cheaper websites, that would be great
    Visit Scotland Community Ambassador
    Glasgow Based Food, Travel & Lifestyle Blogger
    Blog | Twitter | Instagram
  • VisitScotlandMiriamVisitScotlandMiriam Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @ananyah,  VisitScotland offers general advice on tracing your ancestors and finding clans, with a range of handy links and centres for further research too. Some do charge, but others are free, Good luck!
    I'm an Edinburgher who works in the VisitScotland Content Team - have you seen our blog?