Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Budget Accommodation Across Scotland – What to Expect and What’s Available?

Whilst accommodation in Scotland can be quite expensive there are a huge range of budget options available. Scotland has an ever increasing number of hostels, costing around £10 - £20 per night but you could also look at guesthouses and B&Bs, campsites, budget hotels and campus accommodation – which can be a really cost-effective way of doing self-catering.

You can also find more unusual options such as eco campaign pods (e.g Lochness Holiday Park at Invermorlston) or Sleeperzzz railway carriages in Sutherland.

So, has anyone uncovered any budget accommodation gems? Where’s the best budget place to stay in Scotland?

Comments

• laretourlaretour VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    We're heading to Argyll this weekend and are spending 4 nights in a wigwam! It's basic but comes with microwave, heating, fridge and kettle and is costing us about £150. Oh, and I forgot to mention it's right on the beach! Winner :)
    LARETOUR.com 
    Stories from Scotland.
    instagram | twitter | facebook
  • ananyahananyah VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    laretour said:
    We're heading to Argyll this weekend and are spending 4 nights in a wigwam! It's basic but comes with microwave, heating, fridge and kettle and is costing us about £150. Oh, and I forgot to mention it's right on the beach! Winner :)

That sounds amazing @laretour. Do you have any link for the wigwam? I'd never go "actual" camping so a wigwam would be the next best thing :)
    Visit Scotland Community Ambassador
    Glasgow Based Food, Travel & Lifestyle Blogger
    Blog | Twitter | Instagram
  • VisitScotlandIntroVisitScotlandIntro Administrator
    @ananyah - this website has a good list of glamping locations, including specifically wigwam-style ones. I've stayed in them near Loch Tay and they were fantastic.

The ones we stayed in had a sort of bed platform at one end and a padded bench down the side which comfortably slept three people in sleeping bags. You can take the bed platform down during the day for more sitting space.

The best part though is the fire pit outside and the views, although that varies by location of course!
  • ananyahananyah VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    @VisitScotlandDave Thanks Dave, will check it out! :)
    Visit Scotland Community Ambassador
    Glasgow Based Food, Travel & Lifestyle Blogger
    Blog | Twitter | Instagram
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds amazing Laura. So many great bargains to be had accommodation wise in Scotland. Over the years I've usually found that I've enjoyed the bargain beds for the night, just as much if not more than the luxury ones with the big price tags. 
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• laretourlaretour VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    @ananyah @Samantha_Grant @VisitScotlandDave Hi everyone! Dave, that's the exact site I used to do some research, it's a great resource.

There are some amazing sites (generally camping sites that also have wigwams) in the NW Highlands too - definitely give it a go @anayah! And they're heated. Yay! :)
    LARETOUR.com 
    Stories from Scotland.
    instagram | twitter | facebook
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    There's never been a better time to visit the islands cheaply since the rolling out of RET fares on the ferries.  We recently stayed on Mull for a weekend on a B&B basis at a really nice hotel.  We took the car over on the ferry from Oban and all in return car ferry and accommodation it cost just under £140.  My best tip for budget travel would be to considering taking trips out of season as they're often far cheaper than in high season. Scotland for me is not only home but a perfect year round holiday destination.  
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors.