Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

What Are Your Favourite Scottish Words?

VisitScotlandNikkiRVisitScotlandNikkiR Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
edited July 2016 in Understanding Scotland
If someone asked you 'Wheres ma baffies?' would you know what they meant? I ask this because my cousin recently visited me and I asked him if he knew where ma baffies were! he looked at me as if I was speaking double dutch. I then explained that it was my slippers I was looking for. 

This got me thinking to what other Scottish words that I use regularly that folk might not know what I mean.
When visitors ask me about walks in the area I describe some as 'Sprauchley' as this is one of my favorite word to use as is 'Drookit', which I have been using quiet a bit recently :( 

We have some 'braw' words to describe things in Scotland and would love to learn some new words. And if there is a word you don't know what it means please ask. :) 

Comments

• johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
    When my now wife and I started dating, we visited my parents who had recently had a new carpet laid in the living room. Before  entering the room, my mum told us to take our 'shain aff'.
    Tcheuchter is terrific too  :)
  • VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    One my mum used a lot is "hummel doddies". That might be my favourite.

• VisitScotlandNikkiRVisitScotlandNikkiR Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @VisitScotlandJulie I've never heard that one before, what does it mean? 
  • VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @VisitScotlandNikkiR
    it's gloves!
    Usually the ones without fingers, I think.
  • SoniaVRSoniaVR Member ✭✭
    Dreich comes quite handy here! I also like blether :)
  • CharlesCharles Member
    Skunner
  • ZubenelgenubiZubenelgenubi Member ✭✭
    I like glaikit!
    Awaiting arrival of witty signature.
  • IknowluxuryIknowluxury Member ✭✭

Coorie-in : Snuggle in / Cuddle up

Let’s all coorie-in an' keep the cold oot. 

• FrauothemearnsFrauothemearns Member ✭✭
    Stop havering! (talking nonsense) :) 
    @Frauothemearns I say that a lot to my teenage son!  :)
  • FrauothemearnsFrauothemearns Member ✭✭
    Also 'flit' (move house), bide (place of domicile, as in 'where do you bide?), quine (girl) and loon (boy) - think these are Doric, they are well used in Aberdeen that's for sure. 
    @Frauothemearns I didn't know 'flit' was a Scottish word, thank you :) 
  • BushmanBushman Member ✭✭
    Glaur- mud. Some of the T in the park teenagers were covered in glaur thray heid tae fit. 
    My son says his favorite Scottish word to describe me, at times, is 'Crabbit'....   :D
  • VisitScotlandKimVisitScotlandKim Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @VisitScotlandBrian @Zubenelgenubi
    'Glaikit' gets my vote too!
    "Gan Ben the house" :)
  • ZubenelgenubiZubenelgenubi Member ✭✭
    Hah forgot about our occasional use of ben. 
    Awaiting arrival of witty signature.
  • ScottieDollScottieDoll Member
    Not a favourite but 'breid' is a word that caused some in my family. It was at my grandparents, and Granda asked me to 'get oot the breid'. I looked in the cupboard but couldn't see any. I was looking for 'bread', he meant 'oatcakes'! Hubby and I have some friendly arguments about this; he maintains 'breid' is 'oatcakes' and 'loaf' is bread - I take a different view :)
    @ScottieDoll I call it a 'loaf' but my friend always says 'bried' but we both say 'a piece' as in a 'piece an jam' :) 
    @Samantha_Grant fantastic poem, I'm not sure I know all the all the words though! 
    Yer on a shoogly peg there @visitScotlandsheena :smiley:
  • FishjaggerFishjagger Member ✭✭
    Aye!