Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

If you could visit just one Scottish castle which would you choose?

CalumCalum Member
There are so many castles to choose from in Scotland but if you had to pick your favorite out of the following selection which would you choose?

If you could visit just one Scottish castle which would you choose? 61 votes

Eilean Donan
13% 8 votes
Edinburgh castle
14% 9 votes
Stirling Castle
19% 12 votes
Glamis Castle
6% 4 votes
Dunnottar Castle
27% 17 votes
Blair Castle
4% 3 votes
Inveraray Castle
1% 1 vote
Urquhart Castle
11% 7 votes

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭ ✭✭✭✭
    [Deleted Content]
  • Tmo63Tmo63 Member
    Sorry to disagree but are we voting for Castles or Baronial mansions?
  • BushmanBushman ✭✭ Member ✭✭
    The best two lived in castles are missing, Floors and Dunrobbin both spectacular Castles.
  • ZubenelgenubiZubenelgenubi ✭✭ Member ✭✭
    I've only been to Stirling & Edinburgh out of that list and, for me, Stirling just pips it!

Awaiting arrival of witty signature.
  • ArgyllCoffeeGodArgyllCoffeeGod ✭✭ Member ✭✭
    I would have to vote for Eilean Donan as there is something of a familial link! :smiley:
    Befuddled, bemused & occasionally talking sense.
  • DMWScotlandDMWScotland ✭✭✭ VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I've only been to four of these castles. I love them all! I've voted for Dunottar though, it's so dramatic on the cliff top. I hope it stands for a long time yet ...  <3
    I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭ ✭✭✭✭
    [Deleted Content]
  • WinnieWinnie ✭✭ Member ✭✭
    Has to be Dunnottar, spectacular in the sunshine and dramatic on a dark stormy day when the waves are crashing against the rocks. I also think the fact you have to make a bit of an effort to get to it means the views are even more special.  Dare I say the absence of a coffee shop on this occasion is also refreshing! 
  • DMWScotlandDMWScotland ✭✭✭ VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I've been once to Dunnottar Castle @Winnie and would love to go back again and spend more time there. It really took my breath away and as you say it's a very dramatic setting!

The next time I visit I'd like to sit on one of the rocky beaches for a wee while. Beautiful coastline too :)

I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
  • ZubenelgenubiZubenelgenubi ✭✭ Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Something just occurred to me. Any love for Tantallon? I founds its position on that cliff incredible. Not huge by any means but one of my favs. 

Also so might be haunted muahahhaha http://hayleyisaghost.co.uk/tantallon-castle-ghost/

Awaiting arrival of witty signature.
  • CatzCatz ✭✭ Member ✭✭
    Has to be Urquhart as I got engaged there!  So picturesque on the banks of the Loch, visited a few times and always had sunshine too!
  • ZarabelleZarabelle ✭✭ Member ✭✭
    Dunnottar just steals it due to the incredible setting! I went on a beautiful sunny day and it had such a magical atmosphere!!

Glamis Castle also has lots of happy memories of going to the Strathmore Highland Games which are definitely worth going to if you are nearby! :) 
  • FishjaggerFishjagger ✭✭ Member ✭✭
    Edinburgh castle for me. I have been a few times, once I wanted to find my grandfather's brother's name written in one of the many books for all service men who died during any conflicts.  I walked into the main room which houses the books with the names, took a left, walked over to a book, opened it up at a random page, looked down and saw his name, address and boat he was on.  Incredible experience.  But what a beautiful historic castle also.  
  • IreneGIreneG ✭✭ Member ✭✭
    Actually I love Stirling Castle ! Something to suit all ages here ! I particularly like when you go around the Kings and Queens apartments you are met by costumed actors who re-enact the court of James V and hisFrench wife Mary of Guise. . The Unicorn Tapestries are stunning . The Stirling Heads are a must  to see too and learn all about there history . The views from the Castle ramparts are amazing . So much to see and do here at Stirling Castle allow at least 3to 4 hours to enjoy your visit here .
    edited July 2016
    Castle Campbell  nestling in the Ochil Hills above Dollar is a must to see when visiting Scotland . It is a medieval castle dating back too mid 1400's The lowland seat of the Chief of The Clan Campbell . Stunning views on a clear day , lovely walk up the glen to Castle .The Castle has a lovely terraced garden too . 
    Tantallon Castle near North Berwick East Lothian should be one to vote for This is a superb cliff top location although a ruin it is fantastic  . I particularly liked climbing up the spiral stairs to the ramparts amazing and the views to the Bass Rock fantastic . Well set out for the visitors with lots of information boards too. A fantastic place to visit!
  • VisitScotlandAlisonVisitScotlandAlison &#10025; Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I love Loch Leven castle because you have to get the boat out to it. So atmospheric, to think of Mary Queen of Scots imprisoned there. 
  • ElaineRElaineR ✭✭✭ VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    @Calum I love Hume Castle in the Scottish Borders even though it's a bit of an oddity and more of an 18th century folly surrounding the few surviving remains of the original medieval castle. It's so imposing on the Borders landscape and it plays a key role in Kelso's Civic Week ridings celebrations.
  • highlandexplorerhighlandexplorer ✭✭ Member ✭✭
    Doune Castle is brilliant, but getting much busier due to the Outlander effect. However a real hidden gem is Elcho Castle, just outside Perth. If you go in Sept you can pick apples (for free) from the Orchard in the gardens. This is full of old Apple trees with a fantastic range of varieties. My Kids loved this! https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/elcho-castle/
  • TallulahTallulah Member
    Portencross Castle near Seamill on the Ayrshire Coast is the castle for me ! History galore and from the castle roof, majestic views of the Firth of Clyde and her islands