Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Best places to go walking and have lunch

In Perth there is a nice forest walk on route to Scone Palace on the A93 called Quarrymill. The walk includes some great photographic opportunities and the chance to feed some ducks in their ponds. The walks link the A93 and the village of New Scone. There are car parks at both ends of the walks and this is a popular dog walking location. For before or after your walk on the A93 side of the walks there is a nice little cafe run by the charity- Macmillan, they do a good selection of sandwiches, cakes and hot beverages and alongside the walks this makes for a nice way to spend an hour or two.

Where else in Scotland can you find a great walk and lovely food nearby?

Comments

• IknowluxuryIknowluxury Member ✭✭
    Falkland and  Pillars of Hercules Oragnic Farm Shop and Cafe, especially if you have kids- lovely place http://www.pillars.co.uk/
  • VisitScotlandAlisonVisitScotlandAlison Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Glen Clova in Angus has a number of beautiful walks for different levels of ability, from Munros, or  the short but steep walk up to Loch Brandy, or a level (ish) walk along the river to Bachnagairn.  And THEN you can have a lunch or dinner at the Glen Clova Hotel which serves delicious meals and snacks and has a cosy walker's bar. My idea of a perfect day!
  • VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Walking in the Pentland Hills to the southwest of Edinburgh is very popular. If you go down to Flotterstone you can have a very good lunch at the Flotterstone Inn and enjoy a nice and gentle walk to Glencorse reservoir. Of course you can also pick up more difficult walks across hills as they all connect.
  • johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭

Many lovely places to stop and eat all over the Fife Coastal Path! How about East Pier in St Monans for starters?

• johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
    Forgot Elie! Lunch/BBQ at The Ship Inn

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Glen Lyon has lots of good walks and the fab and popular Glen Lyon Tearoom for lunch. 

The Steading up by Hillend Ski Centre is a good option after a walk in the Pentlands. 

The Lade Inn is a favourite of ours when walking in the Trossachs in and around Strathyre. 

The Four Seasons Hotel at St Fillians has some lovely walks within close range.  The food is great. 

The wee coastal town of St Abbs has a great cafe for lunch.  The NTS cliff walk nearby is beautiful. 

I could go on and on as hiking and lunching is a favourite pastime of mine.  :D
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    I second the Glen Clova Hotel and Loch Brandy recommendation from @visitscotlandalison Both great. The hotel is also a great base for a weekend break where you could visit Corrie Fee too and maybe even climb Dreish and Mayar. (Easyish Munros). 

Here's a photo of Loch Brandy I took a couple of months ago when staying at the Glen Clova Hotel. 

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• BertVerninskBertVerninsk Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Holyrood park in Edinburgh is great for picnic just below Arthurs Seat. The park is peaceful and beautifully created with a loch near and a 15th century chapel. If you even fancy going up Arthurs seat it is a great walk in itself with space at the summit to chill. The majority of the 251m mountain has steps while the rest is non-difficult terrain and is basically a gentle walk up. When you get to the top the view of Edinburgh and the royal park is remarkable. Lots of things of interest are near the park and is a 6 minute walk from the Waverly station.
    Where wit may sparkle all its rays,
    Uncurs’d with caution’s fears;
    That pleasure, basking in the blaze, Rejoice for endless years. (R.B)
  • PufflingPuffling Member ✭✭
    If you're in Perth have you tried the Loch Leven Heritage trail?  There are various places to eat on the route round like Loch Leven Larder or the RSPB café and you can walk up the hill from there if you want views across the area.