Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Best spots for a family picnic

VisitScotlandAmyRVisitScotlandAmyR Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
edited October 2016 in Eating and drinking

Picnics are a must-do summer activity, combining the great outdoors with pleasure of eating! What could be nicer?!

What are everyone's favourite spots for a picnic with the family in Scotland? Are there any places which have particularly good facilities, lovely views or short walks suitable for younger ones? Any near farm shops where you might pick up a few tasty extras?

I recently climbed the Berwick Law in North Berwick and spotted lots of families tucking into their 'pieces'. It's a short but fairly steep ascent, and the 360˚ panoramas from the summit are absolutely awesome!

Comments

• VisitScotlandMiriamVisitScotlandMiriam Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @VisitScotlandAmyR I think the perfect picnic spots for families are ones where there are great facilities, like picnic tables, nearby toilets, a playpark and a good view.

I remember going for a really nice day out a few summers ago at Tentsmuir Park in Fife, where there are also good walking trails and a cracking beach. We had lunch at the picnic tables and then took a walk along the sand - bliss! 
    I'm an Edinburgher who works in the VisitScotland Content Team - have you seen our blog?
  • johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
    Plenty Beaches in Fife to choose from. West Sands in St Andrews or Elie's Ruby Bay are top spots. Kingsbarns Beach is also a wee gem and look out for the Cheesy Toast Shack!
  • VisitScotlandAmyRVisitScotlandAmyR Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Thanks for that suggestion @John_WelcometoFife - the Cheesy Toast Shack sounds like the perfect excuse to forget your packed lunch!
  • HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    One of my favourite things to do is to pack a lunch before a day out, find a scenic spot & enjoy my meal there (it's better with my better half around). This is my definition of a picnic and here are my favourite spots around Scotland for a picnic, thought not very family focused.

Small waterfall while climbing Goatfell (from Corrie) on Arran, some dry rocks in the middle make a great seat.

Under the packhorse bridge in Glenlivet, Morayshire

Deep in the Torridon hills at the top of a waterfall (I sense a pattern here)

We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)

• You can't beat a picnic on Dornoch Beach in East Sutherland. Its a short walk from the town centre (where you can pick up picnic food from a number of shops and delis) or alternatively you can park right next to the beach. Miles of golden sands, safe swimming, rockpools and sand dunes! Great at all times of year. For more ideas of places to picnic and explore in the area, go to our website: www.visitdornoch.com

• VisitScotlandAlisonVisitScotlandAlison Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    We took our picnic basket from the car park maybe 200 metres down the path to a spot overlooking Dunnottar Castle one sunny day and had the perfect view for our lunch!  Maybe best to visit the castle before tucking in  - those slopes are steep on a full stomach!