Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Best Bars in Edinburgh

From a glamourous cocktail with the girls, to a traditional Saturday afternoon pint, Edinburgh has all tastes covered with its wide-ranging bars.

The Dome - a visit to the Dome always feels like an occasion. See it in all its glory at Christmas time when the giant Christmas tree centres the round bar.

Bramble Bar - a hidden away cocktail bar underneath Queen Street, this place serves up old classics as well as creative new inventions and has a really cosy vibe.

Peartree House - one for summer, this place has a large cobbled beer garden, perfect for the rare warm Edinburgh day.

The Sheep Heid Inn - the oldest pub in Scotland, this was established way back in 1360. It’s also home to a 19th century skittle alley!

The City Cafe - this has an American Diner feel, complimented with cocktail and beers pitchers as well as guest and resident DJs.

These are just a small handful of some of the great bars Edinburgh has to offer. Where would you recommend?

Comments

• FoodinburghFoodinburgh Member ✭✭
    Tonic Bar is good for cocktails, as is 52 Canoes.  I was also recently at Clouds and Soils which had a nice relaxed atmosphere.
  • ananyahananyah VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    I've actually never been to any bars in Edinburgh, will definitely need to check a few of these out!
    Visit Scotland Community Ambassador
    Glasgow Based Food, Travel & Lifestyle Blogger
    Blog | Twitter | Instagram
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    I love Hamiltons in Stockbridge. They have an amazing cocktail list. 

The Beer Kitchen on Lothian Road is also excellent. It's owned by Innis & Gunn

I also have a soft spot for the Whiski Rooms on The Mound. It has a really chilled ambiance.

I could go on but them I'll sound like a bar fly so I'll stop.
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• EdinBloggerEdinBlogger VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    The Roseleaf is lovely - near The Shore in Leith. The food is excellent and they do a wide range of cocktails served in teapots.
    Love The Roseleaf, I'm a big fan of Teuchters Landing too. You can't go wrong with a mug of macaroni. 
    Gary Wood - Blogger at EdinBraw - The Best of Edinburgh
    Passionate about Edinburgh's food and festival scene and slowly starting to explore Scotland. 
    Find me on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook
  • SmidgeSmidge VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    If you are into Gin, I have a guide to Gin in Edinburgh on my blog, including the best gin bars to visit and the three gins made here which you have to try!

Kate - Scotland / outdoor blogger at Love From Scotland
    Climbs hills, takes pictures. Likes remotes places.
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

• VisitScotlandIntroVisitScotlandIntro Administrator
    A favourite near me is the Cumberland Bar in the New Town, which has a fantastic beer garden (although it needs to be pretty close to midsummer for it to get decent sun). Inside is great too, with lots of wee snug rooms to have a chat in. They've also updated their menu recently - well recommended.
  • mustseescotlandmustseescotland VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    When I lived in Stockbridge (before I met the love of my life and he whisked me away to the Moray Firth) I liked to spend an hour or two in The Baillie. Ah - happy days... ;)Oh yes - and The Jolly Judge - tucked away off the Lawnmarket - cosy on a winter evening.
    The Scotland guide, written by Gilbert and Johanna Summers - lifetime Scottish tourism experts, so you get the best vacation.
    www.must-see-scotland.com

• SmidgeSmidge VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    @mustseescotland the Baillie is one of my favourites - a great place to spend a Saturday afternoon!
    Kate - Scotland / outdoor blogger at Love From Scotland
    Climbs hills, takes pictures. Likes remotes places.
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

• GirlVersusFoodGirlVersusFood VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    Smidge said:
    If you are into Gin, I have a guide to Gin in Edinburgh on my blog, including the best gin bars to visit and the three gins made here which you have to try!

I'm also a gin lover Smidge! <3  Some great suggestions there, I still need to try Mothers in Stockbridge, must add it to my To Do List.
  • TheChaoticScotTheChaoticScot VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I really like the Safari Lounge at Abbeyhill. 

Their house lager and 'Jungle Brother' hot dog involving beef and chorizo chilli with melted manchego might have swayed it for me  ;) 

Carriers Quarters is the oldest pub in Leith, has cosy wee window seats and the pints don't break the bank. The haggis nachos are a great pub snack too! 

I can't see past Nobles in Leith for it's full Scottish breakfast (the BEST in Edinburgh), the quirky interior including a nautical stained glass window, and its decent selection of single malts.

Kay  :)
    Follow my adventures on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram 

Have a wee nosey at my blog  

Former tour guide and current blether. Edinburgh girl whose <3 is in the Scottish Islands. Talk to me about scenic walks, photography, places to eat, public transport, exciting adventures and history  :)
  • VisitScotlandAmyVisitScotlandAmy Administrator
    I have recently discovered the hidden gem, Heads & Tales. If you're into gin, this is a fantastic bar hidden away underneath The Huxley. It even has a DIY option where you can make up your own drink!

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @VisitScotlandAmy I LOVE Heads & Tales. It's a recent discovery of mine and I can't get enough.

My other favourites are:

Panda and Sons - a speakeasy style bar hidden away down a staircase in Stockbridge. Amazing cocktails, vintage barbershop decor and a good vibe

Hoot the Redeemer - a 1950's New Orleans vintage funfair themed bar. You can get alcoholic slushies, cocktails and ice creams

Brass Monkey - great for a drink, a pub quiz or some good ole hearty pub food (burgers, hot dogs, nachos and plenty of vegetarian and vegan options)

The Jolly Botanist - another gin bar with a huge selection of gin and whiskey cocktails and plenty of sharing platters or individual dishes

Copper Blossom - the decor alone in Copper Blossom is something to behold. (It truly lives up to the name - plenty of copper and florals to be seen!). They have both a restaurant and a bar and  some pretty impressive cocktails.
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • ImperialImperial Member

I think the Canny Man's great, an old and authentic pub in Edinburgh, located at 239 Mornigside Rd. 1.5 miles from the west end of Princess Street