Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Tea and Cake

im always looking for somewhere that's serves a decent cuppa and some good cake.

Like to travel about, so suggestions from all over welcome!

help!
Foodie Explorers | Food | Travel | Fun 
Tagged:

Comments

• VisitScotlandAmyVisitScotlandAmy Administrator
    Hi @Foodie_Explorers, if you're in Edinburgh then Mimi's Bakehouse is a treat for cake! Cup in Aberdeen is also lovely, and they do lots of gluten free options too. 
  • VisitScotlandMiriamVisitScotlandMiriam Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Foodie_Explorers have you seen the post about Scotland for Sweet Tooths? It's mainly about cakes, but some of the places do create cuppas too. 

I'm an Edinburgher who works in the VisitScotland Content Team - have you seen our blog?
  • Morag_NMorag_N Member
    Kitty's Tearoom in New Galloway has amazing cakes, and the tea is served in fab vintage china cups & saucers.
  • VisitScotlandLyndsayVisitScotlandLyndsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Foodie_Explorers, how about The Wee Blether Tearoom  situated on the banks of Loch Ard. Its a quirky yet cosy tearoom and although its wee.....the portion sizes are anything but! Its also such a lovely scenic drive to get there, would make a lovely afternoon out.
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    I just enjoyed the best piece of Rocky Road EVER at the Tea Garden in Mallaig. It was awesome. I loved it so much I even took a photo.  :D

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• LaupirLaupir Member
    Jessie's Kitchen in Broughty Ferry has amazing cake!
  • IreneGIreneG Member ✭✭
    Tilly Tearoom in Tillicoultry . This award winning Tearoom is warm and welcoming and the cakes and bakes yum ! 
  • PufflingPuffling Member ✭✭
    RSPB Scotland's Loch Leven café - freshly made cake with a great view!
  • VisitScotlandAlisonVisitScotlandAlison Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    We stopped in Elie on a leg of the Fife coastal path and had a coffee and cake in Sands of Elie on the main street.  The chocolate brownie was just what was needed at the half-way point of our day's 13 mile walk. :)
  • VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    The Potted Shed Tea room at Inchriach Nursery just outside Aviemore is amazing. The huge selection of cakes are delicious, especially the chocolate cake! And to top it off you can enjoy your tea and cake in their little viewing gallery which looks out onto their huge bird feeding station. This is no ordinary feeding station, it even has a Squirrel run! You are guaranteed to see lots of woodland birds, and if you are very lucky a Great Spotted Wood Pecker! Tea, cake and birds, what more could you want?!
  • VanessaVanessa Member ✭✭
    I recommend this one: http://www.missdaisygifts.co.uk/ in Falkland, the place is really cute, and the cakes are awesome! Coffee and carrot cake are the best :)
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    One of my favourites is Muneroy, Southend, Mull of Kintyre. Some of the biggest pieces of cake I have ever been served (and demolished!) and their meringues are to die for!

In Pitlochry you could stop off at Hetties. It's on the main street near the train station and their chocolate cake is divine. 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    edited January 11
    @FullStopNextChapter I cannot believe it took a few months for someone to mention Hetties in this thread. Here is a picture of me enjoying their tea & heavenly fruit scone.

Another good one is the Tigh na Eilean hotel in Shieldag. I was completely drenched and was carrying a ton of luggage and was miserable. Their delicious scone (which wasnt dry at all) and tea revitalized me. Have a pic on another laptop but I can say it too looks as good as it feels.

Finally the cafe at Galloway Forest Park has a good tea & cake selection (but its their toasties that really hit the spot)
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • MogMJMRMogMJMR Member ✭✭
    oooh too many to mention!
    My "home" locations x 2:

Aberdeen
    - for something a little different - Waffles and herbal teas galore and run by lovely folk.
     - for tea and cake it is hard to beat Cup (mentioned above) but I prefer the Cocoa Ooze cafe for a quieter catch up.
     - for vegan / gluten free / unusual cakes foodstory is the place to go
     - for the feel good factor with amazing cakes either BreadMaker or Rosie's (Rosemount) are social enterprise cafes and outstanding cakes!
     - for a seaview Sanddollar is my favourite!

You can tell I like tea and cake....

In the Scottish Borders my favourites are:

Floors Castle Terrace Tea Room (Nr Kelso)
    Quins (Galasheils)
    EAT (Kelso) Jewellery and healing /angel based chat - really interesting
    Thomas and Ethel - Best Gluten Free (fully Gluten Free Cafe!) in Earlston  - also sell at Edinburgh Waverly Platform 2 Market

Other places I have had great tea and cake in Scotland include:

McManus Gallery - Dundee
    Murray's -  Prestwick
    Tea By the Sea - Ullapool - They sell a wee green book on this very topic - tried to find the title but no luck
    The Royal Hotel - Thurso
    The Hill House (National Trust Scotland property)- Helensburgh
    Pitmedden Gardens - Aberdeenshire
    The Portrait Gallery - Edinburgh
    The Kilted Frog - Inverurie

The above are just places I remember - no other criteria  - but memorable must be a good sign! 

Enjoy 

Mogmjmr
    Based in the Scottish Borders, Aberdeenshire has a special place in my heart.
  • MogMJMRMogMJMR Member ✭✭
    It seems I forgot some - for looking in my photos I thought of a few more!

http://velocitylove.co.uk/new-page/ Velocity Bicycles and Cakes in Inverness - Best Sponge Cakes in Various flavours I have had in a while!

Also a traditional Tea room experience on the Isle of Harris at First Fruits - bliss!

Mogmjmr
    Based in the Scottish Borders, Aberdeenshire has a special place in my heart.
  • VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @MogMJMR, some fantastic recommendations there! I've always wanted to try Cocoa Oooze in Aberdeen, sounds like my kind of place!  B)

• YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    Look up goodbrand and Ross on the A939 near(ish) The Lecht 
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    @Foodie_Explorers, depends where you are in Scotland. Aberfeldy has the best coffee house called Habitat Cafe The choice of coffee blends is amazing.
    In Crieff there is Pura Maison for coffee and homemade patisserie.
    Mortons Coffee or Cafe Calluna when in Pitlochry.
    Edinburgh has the famous Clarinda's Tearoom on the Royal Mile.

Best regards
    fishypro