Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Coffee Shops

There are few things I enjoy more than relaxing in a cosy coffee shop!

Some of my personal favourites are in Dundee, the city where I go to university:-

- Madigan's Food Emporium (which has a vast selection of herbal teas and a wonderful collection of cakes)
- Roseangle Arts Cafe (situated in an old converted church right in the heart of the city centre)
- Pacamara Food and Drink (not only does good coffee, but also serves an amazing brunch)

What are some of your favourite coffee shops in Scotland?

Comments

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    In Edinburgh, a favourite with Harry Potter fans is Elephant House on George the IV Bridge where JK Rowling famously used to write her books!
    There are plenty more independant trendy coffee shops in the city centre, for example Brew Lab, Black Medecine and Artisan Roast. There are also a lot of coffee shops in the popular areas of Bruntsfield, Morningside and Stockbridge.
  • ShetlandRachelShetlandRachel Member ✭✭
    In Shetland, the Peerie Shop Cafe is a must. I have only sampled a few in Stirling including The Burgh Coffee House but I can't wait to try a few more!
  • shetlanddebbieshetlanddebbie Member ✭✭
    @ShetlandRachel there's a Burgh Coffee House in Dundee too. It's a great place to study while enjoying a cup of coffee!
  • LadyWillowLadyWillow Member
    Nairn has the wonderful Basil Cafe at the Harbour. Small but friendly excellent coffee and cakes and also dog friendly. 
  • ananyahananyah VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    In Glasgow, we have Laboratorio Espresso (a personal favourite), Papercup, Gordon St Coffee and Artisan Roast. 

We also have our very own coffee roaster Dear Green which supplies several cafes in Scotland. Gordon St Coffee also roast their own coffee along with Avenue G. 

Visit Scotland Community Ambassador
    Glasgow Based Food, Travel & Lifestyle Blogger
    Blog | Twitter | Instagram
  • LeodhasachLeodhasach Member ✭✭
    Starbucks in Ocean Terminal.....   :D  I know it's a big chain but I do quite like the service I get in there and the one in Inverness town centre. I fully expect and deserve to be flamed for that!

Although if I'm honest my favourite is Blend in Inverness. It's just a wee place but their coffee is excellent. I've also recently discovered Cafe 82 in Drumnadrochit, I haven't had a chance to sample their coffee yet but I've heard good things. 

For music reviews and previews in Inverness and the Highlands: http://invernessgigs.co.uk/
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/@leodhasach
  • ananyahananyah VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    Starbucks in Ocean Terminal.....   :D  I know it's a big chain but I do quite like the service I get in there and the one in Inverness town centre. I fully expect and deserve to be flamed for that!

Although if I'm honest my favourite is Blend in Inverness. It's just a wee place but their coffee is excellent. I've also recently discovered Cafe 82 in Drumnadrochit, I haven't had a chance to sample their coffee yet but I've heard good things. 

@Leodhasach, my boyfriend the specialty coffee connoisseur will be foaming at the month. Starbucks and Costa are banned words between us lol

Visit Scotland Community Ambassador
    Glasgow Based Food, Travel & Lifestyle Blogger
    Blog | Twitter | Instagram
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    It's a wee bit off the beaten track for a coffee but the Glen Lyon Tearoom is fab. Perfect after a nice long hike. Surprisingly busy too considering it's in the middle of nowhere.  

The gallery at Calgary Bay on Mull is another spot where you can get great coffee and a cake.

My favourite though was completely al fresco. It was an honesty box I came across when visiting the Kildalton Cross on the Isle of Islay. Again a really remote spot. Someone had set up a wee table with homemade cakes, hot flasks of tea and coffee, plus cold milk, sugar and mugs. There was even homemade jam for sale.  It was a honestly box system. Absolutely loved it. Totally unexpected but so welcome. The cakes were amazing too. 
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• ShetlandSophShetlandSoph Member ✭✭
    @shetlanddebbie @ShetlandRachel I would definitely agree with Peerie Shop Cafe, a few of my other Lerwick favourites would be Fine Peerie Cakes (a tiny coffee shop with proper china cups and very quaint decor) and also Fjara (a fairly new cafe to Lerwick, located in a very nice spot next to the sea - perfect for having a cup of tea while watching the seals in the bay!) If you fancy making the trip up to the island of Yell, The Old Haa Museum would be well worth a stop, as you can learn about the history of the island and then sit in the cafe or the beautiful garden with a cup of coffee and a piece of Nita's homemade cake! 
  • WinnieWinnie Member ✭✭
    A few of my favourites - http://mimisbakehouse.com/ in Edinburgh, http://mountaincafe-aviemore.co.uk/ in Aviemore, http://blendcoffee.co.uk/ in Perth and https//www.facebook.com/Jessies-Kitchen-189114634450256/ in Broughty Ferry. What do they have in common? Great quality tea/coffee and fresh local produce  :)
  • Foodie_ExplorersFoodie_Explorers Member ✭✭
    Isn't it great to see so many good coffee shops about now?

<3 Drygate (can always have a beer if coffee isn't your thing!) and Gordon Street Coffee - they roast their own coffee beans in house and you can watch as well.

Foodie Explorers | Food | Travel | Fun 
  • ElaineRElaineR VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Damascus Drum in Silver Street, Hawick is a delightful  little cafe tucked away in a side street making it easy to miss unless you know it's there. The decor us quite eclectic, the menu offers a variety of middle eastern-inspired dishes in addition to many traditional cafe favourites. There is also a lovely bookshop area within the cafe. It's also dog friendly which makes it my number one choice for coffee or a light lunch when I'm in the town.

http://www.damascusdrum.co.uk
  • GillGill Member
    Before heading to Ben Vorlich we stopped off at Mhor 84, which is just off the A84 in Balquhidder. Tasty coffee and an even tastier cake selection! The meringues were fantastic and the sugar high helped us tackle the Munro! 

In the Glasgow area I would always recommend heading to Gordon Street Coffee - friendly guys, who are really passionate and know their coffee! 
  • CatzCatz Member ✭✭
    A few of my favourites are:
    Heaven Scent in Milnathort - amazing afternoon teas in their Heavens Above rooms which you enter through a Smeg fridge door!
    Mannerstons which is on the A905 South Queensferry to Bo'ness Road, does great home baking
    The Potting Shed just outside Aviemore serves only cake - what's not to like about that - also thrown in is the viewing gallery to their tree garden where you can watch many different types of birds and some squirrels feeding - we saw a woodpecker when we were there last week!
  • gstirgstir Member
    edited July 2016
    My current favourites at the moment are:

Edinburgh:
    - Artisan Roast on Broughton Street
    - Kilimanjaro on Clerk Street
    - Castello Coffee on Castle Street
    - Wellington's on George Street (the strongest coffee I've had in years)
    - Filament Coffee on Clerk Street
    - Twelve Triangles on 90 Brunswick Street. My new favourite.

Glasgow:
    - Tinderbox, any of the three - Ingram Street, Buchanan Street (inside Paperchase) and lastly Byres Road.

North Berwick:
    - Steampunk Coffee. Simply awesome. Their wee veedub van does come into Edinburgh of a Sunday to service Java hunting punters at the Stockbridge market. *well* worth a visit.

Still to try Machina Espresso on Brouham Place, but that's being left for a nice sunny day.

• ElaineRElaineR VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    I love Border Meringues in Jedburgh. The coffee shop has recently been refurbished after the devastating floods in the town last winter, and it's now bigger and better. Fab cakes to die for, great light bite lunches, and breakfasts served all day. And it's now dog friendly - water bowls and dog treats provided.

http://www.border-meringues.co.uk
  • johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016

Good call @VisitScotlandBrian

Check out this cool wee drawing of Taste by Glasgow/Gourock based Wil Freeborn, sketched as he drank :smile:  

• ZarabelleZarabelle Member ✭✭
    My favourite coffee shop is actually the Bean Room in St Andrews! They have such a wide range of coffee and different syrup concoctions and it is spacious enough yet still feels cosy! The atmosphere is also great for having a coffee while studying or a catch up with friends, in my opinion it strikes the perfect balance between the two :) 
    I also have to agree with @VisitScotlandBrian, Taste coffee is really great too!
  • FishjaggerFishjagger Member ✭✭
    Black Medicine coffee shop on Nicholson street Edinburgh!
  • IreneGIreneG Member ✭✭
    A wee hidden gem in Clackmannanshire is Tilly Tearoom . This award winning tearoom is quirky  real China cups and saucers etc  . The teapots have fabulous hand made tea cosies , oh and the lunches and afternoon teas --amazing . Nora and her staff are so helpful and friendly too ! Well worth a visit . 
  • IreneGIreneG Member ✭✭
    If you are looking for a farm shop with a tearoom and a fabulous view then Muircott Farm in Clackmannanshire near Tillicoultry is one to visit ! Sitting having coffee or tea looking across to the Ochil Hills is fantastic . You can sit outside if the weather is good . I particularly like the Winter views especially if the hills are covered in snow . They have fruit trees growing , and raised beds for herbs and vegetables . The lunch menu changes daily and I can guarantee you will not be disappointed .
  • IreneGIreneG Member ✭✭
    My husband and I discovered a fabulous place on Islay to have a nice tea or coffee with fabulous home bakes . It is at The Outback Gallery at Sanaigmore It is  located close to theNorth Western tip of Islay . A stunning drive to reach this gallery -well worth it though . After tea or coffee take a walk to the nearby hidden gem of a beach . I can honestly say you will love this visit ! 
  • PufflingPuffling Member ✭✭
    The Potting Shed Tearoom at Inshriach Nursery is a great place to watch the birds and squirrels on the feeders at the same time as getting a big slice of cake!
  • VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    The award winning Mountain Cafe in Aviemore, amazing cakes and freshly made tasty grub! 
  • IreneGIreneG Member ✭✭
    On a day visit to Colonsay (from Islay)in May this year we visited Colonsay House and Gardens ! They have afantastic tearoom overlooking the gardens and you can sit outside and enjoy ! Oh the lunches and cakes and homemade goodies are just superb ! We had never visited this small but amazing Island before,everyone we met made us welcome . 
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited December 2016
    Lately I've been enjoying the coffee at Caffeine Drip and Moon & Hare in Edinburgh. Both have amazing menus as well as excellent coffee. 
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    After walking the 12 mile section of the Speyside Way from Grantown-on-Spey to Boat of Garten in sub-zero temperatures I was delighted to find the 1896 Gallery & Coffee shop. Delicious coffee and home baking...I had a tasty raspberry scone and my husband said that his piece of honey and pear cake was fabulous! Other favourites are Birnam Arts near Dunkeld, Small Talk in Perth, Brew & Chew in Perth and The Three Lemons in Aberfeldy. I can also highly recommend the scones at House of Bruar near to Blair Atholl - they are delicious!
  • The Pier in Lairg is the place to go. Located by a loch with big windows to enjoy the view, great friendly staff and food to die for. Highly recommend their cheesecakes!
  • YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    Goodbrand and Ross on the A939 south of the Lecht and not far from Corgarff castle. OK coffee and cakes, nice wee shop. Excellent road to drive to it on! Bacon rolls are pretty good there too!

In Aberdeen, the bacon rolls and coffee from 'Contour' cafe on the green is pretty good, for a view though Inversnecky at the beach is pretty good!
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk