Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Planning for Summer Activities in Scotland

Summer in Scotland can be unpredictable. Experiencing 4 seasons in one day mid-July isn’t unusual, so it’s best to be prepared!

Bring waterproofs if you’re going to be outside. An umbrella wouldn’t go amiss but it might just get blown away in the wind.

It’s all about layering. It might feel hot one minute, and cold and breezy the next. Lots of light layers should keep you right.

Got more tips for planning summer outdoor activities? Share them below!

Comments

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    • To avoid the blight of the dreaded midgie in summer I find Avon's original Skin so Soft works for me.  There are other brands available too so it may be a case of trial and error.   
    • As hilarious as it sounds sun cream is important too.  When the sun does shine it's actually quite pleasant so be protected
    • I travel with a dog extensively and usually in quite remote regions so I've always got a tick remover on me.  Also useful for humans.  Ticks are horrible little critters 
    • I always have lightweight waterproofs packed if I'm in the countryside, even in summer as I find trying to wrestle an umbrella in Scottish winds futile.  Walk down any Scottish city street after a high wind and you'll notice most public bins are stuffed full of broken, tangled umbrellas
    • If you fancy a spot of al fresco evening dining you can never have too many fancy wee cardis or wraps to ward off the night chill as it starts to creep in.   
    • Camera - Don't forget to pack a camera.  With blues skies and azure seas in summer Scotland is the most photogenic little country on this planet. 

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• VisitScotlandHeatherVisitScotlandHeather Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Sunglasses are always good... you never know when the sun will appear  :D