Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Best weeklong cycle routes? (pref loop)

Hi, I'll be spending a couple of weeks in Scotland this summer and I'd like to explore some of the country (coast) by bike. I've checked out the best cycle routes on the website, but most of them are either too short (day), or go in one direction. 

I'm looking for a route, or routes, that go somewhat in a loop so I end up where I started. This because I'll have to rent a bike and will have to return it at the end of my trip. 

Last year I did the Ring of Kerry in Ireland, so anything like that would be perfect. Route can be up to 40miles a day and can last anywhere between a week to 10 days. 

Thanks a mil!
Roel 
Tagged:

Comments

• VisitScotlandHeatherVisitScotlandHeather Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    The North Coast 500 is definitely one to consider - it's 516 mile circular route through the North Highlands.   The North Coast 500 website has a cycling itinerary already which lasts 9 days but you can pick up some inspiration of the top things to see and do here and build your own itinerary too.
  • VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    You can also have a look on the Sustrans network which provides a lot of information on cycling for all abilities. You can work out a route using the digital map. Happy cycling!  :D
  • RoelMoeursRoelMoeurs Member
    Thanks!

Thee NC500 seems great, but slightly out of my league as of yet. I've looked over the Sustrans map and I believe I'll be plotting a course from Edinburgh up to Dundee-Perth-Glasgow-Edinburgh. 

Looking forward to it!. 
  • ElaineRElaineR VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    @RoelMoeurs You should check out the wonderful cycle routes through the Scottish Borders as I'm sure you would find something that suits you. The scenery on the routes is so beautiful.

http://cyclescottishborders.com