Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Caravan travel

mauromauro Member
edited June 2016 in Camping and Caravanning
Hi Community,
we are a couple from italy/chile, travelling to discover Scotland this summer. we got 2 weeks.

we'd like to travel the islands, the west coast from oban up north to ullapool, starting from edinburgh, where we catch the flight. we were thinking that it might be great to be able to just stop in some random view spot or countryside and sleep. then wake up in the morning and have great views. is that possible in scotland? how are the laws? i've read there is the possibility of free camping, but how is it with vans?

Comments

• LeodhasachLeodhasach Member ✭✭
    Technically you can park up anywhere, despite some parking spots having 'no overnight camping' signs. However many of them are close by busy roads and can be fairly bleak experiences if the weather is poor. There are plenty of really good campsites across Scotland that will afford you stunning views whilst having access to facilities like shops, power and a toilet block. So I would tend to go with those instead. 

Off the top of my head good places to stay are:

Ullapool - Broomfield holiday park, great views across Loch Broom.
    Durness - Sango Sands Looks over the Minch and you can even see Dolphins if you're lucky!
    Gairloch - Sands

Wild About Scotland have a top ten that's worth a look too. It includes places like Applecross, Mull and Cannich near Loch Ness.  
    For music reviews and previews in Inverness and the Highlands: http://invernessgigs.co.uk/
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/@leodhasach
  • VisitScotlandEstherVisitScotlandEsther Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited June 2016
    Hi @mauro

I've moved this discussion over to the caravan and camping section, where hopefully more people will see it.  :)
  • sinead_flemingsinead_fleming Member ✭✭
    Hi, my husband and I have just hired a wee motorhome as a different way to see Scotland so we're planning our trip for September too and are very excited about it! I found this guide by Bunk Campers about Wild Camping in Scotland.

http://www.bunkcampers.com/en/holiday-advice/camping-guide/wild-camping/

"Wild camping in Scotland is completely legal, widely accepted and a great way to experience the great outdoors. In Scotland wild camping law is explicit about people’s right to camp on hill land – usually more than 100 metres away from a public road. Some landowners do take exception, but thankfully they are few and far between. If you’re near a dwelling it’s also a good idea to ask permission before wild camping in Scotland, and not just set up camp on their doorstep!"

Wild camping is legal in Scotland even in a motorhome, but this guide gives some useful guidelines. Hope it helps!