Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Isle of Barra Recommendations!

ellisoconnorellisoconnor VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
Hi all!

I'm going to the beautiful Isle of Barra this coming Saturday and will be staying for 6 days. 

I've been before but on this coming trip I have a lot more time to explore so if anyone has been and has any recommendations and tips on things to see and do I would love it if you can all share with me!

Very very excited to see as much as possible and hopefully go Island hopping to the surrounding Islands!

Thanks in advance!

Ellis :smile:

Comments

• OutandaboutElaineOutandaboutElaine Member ✭✭✭
    @ellisoconnor how exciting Barra looks amazing why not do a spot of sightseeing on-board a sea kayak, if you're lucky you might spot dolphins, porpoise or basking sharks! 
  • LeodhasachLeodhasach Member ✭✭
    If you're an avgeek or have avgeek tendencies then watching the Flybe Twin Otter coming in to land on Barra's beach runway is always a highlight. Well, for me at least. My wife tends to shake her head an awful lot when I do things like that! 

Cycling round the Island is dead easy (it's only about 30 miles in total) and spending a day doing that a visiting the beaches on the West Coast would be a very good way to take in the Island. 

There are White-Tailed Sea Eagles in the area so keep your eyes peeled for those. In fact the Western Isles are one of my favourite places for birding anywhere in the UK (apart from Orkney/Shetland) and you'll get a phenomenal mix of seabirds, raptors and garden birds. 
    For music reviews and previews in Inverness and the Highlands: http://invernessgigs.co.uk/
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/@leodhasach
  • JuliemcJuliemc Member

Climb up to top of  Ben Heavel, saying hello to Our lady of Seas ( Statue) on the way. Take the ferry over to Eriskay, land on the same spot as Bonnie Prince Charlie did when he first set foot on Scottish soil.  

Enjoy!