Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Scottish music top ten(ish!)

2»

Comments

• J.MoJ.Mo Member
    You simply cannot discuss Scottish music without mentioning the fantastic Glasgow based indie label Postcard Records.  Postcard created pop magic in the early 80's with bands like Orange Juice and the wonderful Aztec Camera - and although they're not Scottish (from Brisbane actually) the Go Betweens must also get a mention as they were also signed to Postcard and based themselves here in those days.  It also wouldn't be right not to mention the late great Billy McKenzie and The Associates, The Bluebells, Strawberry Switchblade, Cocteau Twins, Teenage Fanclub, The View, The Delgados, and Camera Obscura.  
  • gillcmccgillcmcc Member ✭✭
    James Yorkston another #Fife gem
  • LeodhasachLeodhasach Member ✭✭
    JenniferM said:
    You simply cannot discuss Scottish music without mentioning the fantastic Glasgow based indie label Postcard Records.  Postcard created pop magic in the early 80's with bands like Orange Juice ..... Cocteau Twins, Teenage Fanclub, The View, The Delgados, and Camera Obscura.  
    In my defence I did mention Orange Juice but didn't add one of their tracks. However I have no excuse for forgetting the Cocteau Twins!! Heaven or Las Vegas is one my favourite albums. 

For music reviews and previews in Inverness and the Highlands: http://invernessgigs.co.uk/
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/@leodhasach
  • VisitScotlandRuaridhVisitScotlandRuaridh Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    It's a case of where do you start for me when creating a top 10 in Scottish Music. I always think like this when making my list:

1. Breabach
    2. Julie Fowlis Band
    3. Runrig
    4. Manran
    5. Rura
    6. Aly Bain & Phil Cunningham
    7. Capercaillie
    8. Battlefield Band
    9. Kan
    10. Lau

You can find out more info online at https://footstompinrecords.bandcamp.com/  
  • VisitScotlandRuaridhVisitScotlandRuaridh Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Another great gig was Runrig 'Party on the Moor' at Muir of Ord in the Highlands. A night to remember celebrating there 40th anniversary.
  • KatieMacLeodKatieMacLeod Member
    There can't be a Scottish music top ten without Runrig - at least not for me! As a (mostly former) melodeon player from the islands, I've got a soft spot for traditional Gaelic tunes, and I'm a big fan of the likes of Julie Fowlis, Skerryvore, and Manran. I'm really enjoying the music from the recently formed Tide Lines too (the lead singer was in Skippinish until this spring).

(And thanks, @Leodhasach, for reminding me of some old favourites - Idlewild's 'You Held The World In Your Arms' was on repeat on my iPod a good few years ago!)
    Journalist & Travel Blogger
    Blog: Stories My Suitcase Could Tell 
    Social: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

For something a bit louder we could also include Perth's finest Pirate Metal band Alestorm. In fact I'd even go as far as to say they're the World's finest Pirate Metal band. It's not like there's a huge amount of competition in that genre...

For music reviews and previews in Inverness and the Highlands: http://invernessgigs.co.uk/
  • johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Loving the Idlewild chat. They are the band I've seen more than any other band and Scottish Fiction is still my fave although 100 Broken Windows takes me right back to my high school days.

Roddy Woomble's first solo album (My Secret is my Silence) was great and features the beautiful voice of Karine Polwart. 
  • ScottieDollScottieDoll Member
    I love Amy MacDonald's version of 'Caledonia'. Brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it. The Sensational Alex Harvey Band's tongue-in-cheek rendition of 'Dancing Cheek to Cheek' is another favourite :smiley:
  • OutandaboutElaineOutandaboutElaine Member ✭✭✭
    Completely random but do you remember The Time Frequency? Scottish techno band.  They were filling the student unions and nightclubs across Scotland in the early to mid 90's! This track is from 1992.

edited July 2016
    @VisitScotlandElaine That's a blast from the past! I'm sure I saw them in the Ministry nightclub in Aberdeen. Probably the same night that I saw The Grid... (I know!)

Which reminds me, I used to work with the original drummer of The Shamen after he left the band. They were formed in Aberdeen and I worked with Keith a few years later in Triple Kirks. 

• 3penny3penny Member
    Two more to mention must be Eddie Reader and of course, Fish, ex-lead singer with Marillion who went on to record on his own after leaving them.
    I've created a public playlist on Spotify that you're all very welcome to add to or share/follow. I've asked my colleagues in the office to come up with a suitably pun-heavy name for the playlist based on #Scotspirit but some of the suggestions have been so heavy on the càise it's been enough to put me off cheese toasties for life :)

Some of the suggestions so far are:

• It Scot to be....
    • Songs that Scot stuck in your head
    • Scot your feet tapping

• VisitScotlandNikkiRVisitScotlandNikkiR Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited July 2016
    Runrig - Alba - Edinburgh Castle.  :)  
  • The Talking Heads could count

... well David Byrne WAS born in Dumbarton!
  • SuzieDSuzieD Member ✭✭
    Loving all the reminders of songs from my youth! Ones which stick out for me are the Associates "party fears two", Danny Wilson "Mary's Prayer", all of Blue Nile "Hats" album, Primal Scream "moving on up" and Aztec Camera "somewhere in my heart".  Of today's Scottish musicians, my faves are Twin Atlantic and Calvin Harris.
  • ElaineRElaineR VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    @Winnie @VisitScotlandRuaridh what about the Proclaimers! One of the most successful Scottish music acts ever

• I love Deacon Blue! Seen them live a few times now and it's always been a great show and a brilliant atmosphere! 
    There are loads of great Scottish bands but top gigs I've been to are Hue & Cry, Runrig, Wet Wet Wet and The Proclaimers!!
    All this music talk - I want to go to a concert NOW!!! lol
    I haven't visited Scotland in 25 years, but am finally going back in August. Loved The Proclaimers since Day 1, and finally got to see (and meet!) them a couple of months back when they were touring the US. Although they don't plan to tour in 2017, what are the chances they might play the odd gig in Edinburgh? I'd plan my whole trip around a show!
  • ejfraser94ejfraser94 Member ✭✭
    There are lots of good Scottish music to feast your ears with. I would agree with Biffy Clyro and Simple Minds. Another great band, who performed at the Commonwealth Games ceremony is Deacon Blue, you can't beat a bit of Dignity or Real Gone Kid. They're going on a tour round Scotland in December, hoping to go to see them at the AECC. Runrig as well are great, their live albums especially.

KT Tunstall has been a favourite artist of mine from my childhood, she's also going on a tour round Scotland, gutted it sold out pretty quickly at Aberdeen's Lemon Tree! Possibly have to go to the Highlands to go and see her. Travis has the lead singer Sharleen Spiteri who's a great singer also, she has her own solo material. Franz Ferdinand were also popular 10 years ago, Take Me Out is always a good song to 'rock' to. 

If anyone is aware of the Pixar film Brave, Julie Fowlis contributed to the soundtrack, she was born in North Uist but grew up in Ross-shire in the Highlands (fellow Highlander, whoop whoop!). She usually sings in Scots Gaelic but she has a lovely voice, great one to listen to.

As a recent music graduate who doesn't have a day where she doesn't listen to music, I had to post on here! But Scotland has a wide range of music all across the country. :smile:

Looking back on this a year later, I am so embarrassed that I wrote Travis instead of Texas. Absolutely shocking, worst excuse of a music graduate. hahaha. :)
  • italgirl83italgirl83 Member
    I enjoy the music of Paolo Nutini.  
  • ParsmanParsman Member ✭✭✭
    I can't believe we got to page two and nobody mentioned the Sensational Alex Harvey Band! Maybe it is a generational thing but I will never forget to my dying day their performance of Delilah. 
    Oh and, OK a bit tenuous but Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull was born in Dunfermline. That was the reason I first listened to their music, the quality kept me coming back.

Oh and, looking back, if we are allowing folk music on the list, we have to include Dick Gaughan. His performance of "Now Westlin Winds (Song composed in August) is beyond magical.

• apetitdeuxapetitdeux Member ✭✭
    Pretty interesting things there ! I didn't know David Byrne was born in Scotland, he's definitely a great artist.
    I would recommend King Creosote too (Diamond mine is a good album), and add Boards of Canada (try Geogaddi) if you like dreamy electronic music.
    A little bonus: "Prickly thorn but sweetly worn" is a song about Scotland by the White Stripes, and it's a good song too !