Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

5-10k city running routes

WinnieWinnie Member ✭✭
edited October 2016 in Outdoors and active pursuits
If you visit Dundee there is a fantastic running route across the Tay road bridge and down on to the Fife coastal path to Tayport and back. It's about 7km and allows you to take in amazing views of Dundee, Broughty Ferry and Fife. I'm always looking for suggestions on where I can run when staying in cities across Scotland - anyone else got some good running routes that also incorporate a bit of sightseeing? 

Comments

• LeodhasachLeodhasach Member ✭✭
    There's a nice 5K that you can do around the Ness Islands in Inverness. It's mostly pavement pounding but it takes you along the River Ness and through the Ness Islands before reversing the route on the other side of the river. When I've done it I've looped round using the main Ness road bridge as the start/finish. You could add an extra 1km by continuing down and crossing over the Greig St bridge. It's pan flat the whole way so it's a nice walk/run that can be done during a lunch hour. 
    For music reviews and previews in Inverness and the Highlands: http://invernessgigs.co.uk/
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/@leodhasach
  • VisitScotlandNikkiVisitScotlandNikki Administrator, VisitScotland Staff
    Must admit up front, I'm not a runner... but am a walker and I've been making the most of Edinburgh's off-road paths near where I live. I walked a 6K last Saturday (I'm building up!) going along from St Mark's Park to Warriston, then north till I reached the sea at Granton, along the coast to Lindsay Road and back along the Victoria Path to the Water of Leith and back to the start.

It still amazes me that these paths exist, and how you can feel like you're in the middle of a forest but yet be 30 seconds away from Edinburgh's bustling streets. Great for wildlife spotting too - I've seen swans, cygnets, herons, squirrels and lots of different birds.

The paths are all marked on the innertubemap - the map's for cyclists but all of the paths are usually suitable for walking and running too.
  • VisitScotAnnieroseVisitScotAnnierose Member, Administrator, Moderator
    I agree with @VisitScotlandNikki, Edinburgh is fabulous place for running and walking!

My favourite is Arthur's Seat, which is about 5 -6k all the way around (not up!) There are some steep sections which will get your heart racing, but the views are totally worth it. I always stop to post a photo on my way around (cheating, I know!)

I also love jogging along the beach at Portobello, which is much flatter and it's always nice to have the sea breeze and look at the ocean along the way.

Here are 15 more running suggestions!   
  • IornamacIornamac Member ✭✭
    Winnie said:
    If you visit Dundee there is a fantastic running route across the Tay road bridge and down on to the Fife coastal path to Tayport and back. It's about 7km and allows you to take in amazing views of Dundee, Broughty Ferry and Fife. I'm always looking for suggestions on where I can run when staying in cities across Scotland - anyone else got some good running routes that also incorporate a bit of sightseeing? 

• FionaMatFionaMat Member
    A great run in Edinburgh would be through the Hermitage of Braid, you would never think you were in a capital city!  Nice to get away from the busy city traffic.
  • Avalon1661Avalon1661 Member
    As a newcomer to Edinburgh I'm still finding routes so will try some of the suggestions. Water of Leith and Crammond shore are great for those who don't like too many hills