Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Taking the wrong turn works out well

VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
I've recently returned from a trip to my hometown of Aberdeen and although my geography of Scotland is excellent, my sense of direction is a little off at times. :D  As I drove back down along the A90, my phone (which I was using as my sat nav) ran out of battery and I missed my turn off.  I found myself heading in the wrong direction, for quite a while, before reaching the next junction for Stirling. 

I must say how glad I am that I missed the first turn off!!!

Following the A91 from junction 7 on the M90, the road took me past some beautiful country scenery with vibrant green fields, before reaching the rugged and craggy Ochil Hills which overlook the villages of Dollar, Tillicoultry and Alva.  I had never been to this area before and after looking at where I had been on a map when I got back home I just have to go back.  Dollar Glen is definitely on my to do list!

Where have your wrong turns taken you?

Comments

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    A beautiful wrong turn.  The hills are so dramatic there.  We took a wrong turn looking for a woodland walk near Loch Venachar in the winter and ended up on a lovely hillside walk by Brig O Turk with gorgeous views down over Loch Venachar and across to Loch Drunkie.  Way better than the original viewless walk we'd been looking for.  
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• BruceBruce Member
    I saw a story about someone taking a wrong turn recently that resulted in the rescue of a beached dolphin!
  • FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    One of my favourite lunchtime walks is crossing the Railway Bridge walkway in Perth and walking through the Rodney Gardens and today I took the wrong path and ended up at Kinnoul Burial Ground. They had an information board highlighting some of the more notable graves and I was interested to discover that Effie Gray is buried here. Effie or Euphemia Gray was firstly married to the poet John Ruskin but after this marriage was annulled went on to marry the artist John Everett Millais. It was quite the Victorian scandal....
  • ElaineRElaineR VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    @Samantha_Grant @VisitScotlandAngela @Fofoma one of my favourite walks is the section of the Borders Abbeys Way between Melrose and Selkirk - I took an alternative path straight along the River Tweed rather than heading uphill past the Abbotsford visitor centre and was rewarded with a really fine view of Abbotsford House which you wouldn't see if you stuck to the designated path all the way.

Then, when I had almost reached the end of the walk in Selkirk town centre, I spotted a lovely ivy-clad ruin off to the left which drew me in - I'm so glad that I did divert off course otherwise I would never have discovered the picturesque Kirk O' the Forest where Braveheart William Wallace was made Guardian of Scotland back in the 13th century.