Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

positive and negative impacts of tourism in scotland

Hi, I am currently studying tourism in Scotland and was wondering what people's views were on the positive and negative impacts of tourism? 

Comments

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi there,

There are masses of litter left behind by "Some" wild campers.
    I find that there is not enough done to promote slow tourism. We should try and get people to stay longer in one town.
    I live in Pitlochry and at the moment it feels like 90% of the visitors are only day tourists.
    On the other hand, social media has been amazing for tourism.
    There needs to be much more promotion of the accommodation in Scotland.
    AirBnB and Booking.com need to be squashed. They are getting too big and are taking over the reservations.
    They promise low prices etc but they are the "middle man". How can the middle man offer better prices?
    Promotion of booking directly with the accommodation providers would be a good start.
    No tourist cares for sustainable tourism. It is just a one-sided argument. A good one but one-sided.

Best regards
    fishypro
  • NicDNicD Member
    We are currently visiting Inverness from the Scottish Borders. We went a walk along the Kessock Bridge today and my 7 year old son was so appauled with the amount of litter over the bridge, that he decided to pick up as much as he could along with the rest of the family. Regardless if it's a holiday or your home town, keep Scotland tidy and save our amazing wildlife. Here is a picture of my son and his papa with their litter pick.
  • rosiemeerosiemee Member
    Well done!