Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

self isolation in a motorhome in Scotland

Hello,
We plan to come to Scotland by road trip in a motorhome in May 2021 if travel is allowed.
I can't find any information on how to quarantine when you arrive with your campervan. Where can I be isolated? Are there any campsites or special sites where you can be isolated for 10 days? 

Best Answers

• VisitScotlandLindsayVisitScotlandLindsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Fabienne

Thank you for your message about your plans to travel to Scotland in May.

This is a bit of a tricky situation, because at the moment people aren't allowed to be travelling into Scotland except for essential circumstances, so self isolation for your type of trip maybe hasn't been considered yet. I know if people are flying into the country there are hotels that are set up for self isolation. 

Does your motorhome have all the required amenities inside or is it just simply a place to sleep. If it does, I think it would be a case of just staying in the motorhome for the right amount of days and making sure you had all the essentials with you to last.

It is such a hard question to answer at the moment, with the current restrictions that are in place and I apologise I cant give you a better answer just now. I have found this link here which tells you about self isolation from the Scottish Government. This will get updated as and when things change, so it is best to keep checking it out and all other guidelines to see how things are progressing.

We look forward to welcoming you to Scotland when restrictions allow and if you need anymore help or advice, please do not hesitate to get back in touch with us :smile:

Kind Regards

Lindsay 
  • FabienneFabienne Member
    Accepted Answer
    Thank you for your response.
    Yes I know that travel is not allowed. I just wanted to know if there are any special self-isolation arrangements with a camper van.  My motorhome is equipped but I need to fill up the water and empty the toilets, so I need to be able to be on a campsite and I thought there might be campsites reserved for this purpose. The Scottish Government website only talks about travelling by plane or car, not by campervan.
    I hope that the measures in place will enable us to get around again. I look forward to visiting your incredible country again.

Best regards

Fabienne

Accepted Answer
    Hi Lindsay,
    You are right, we would go through England. Unless the vaccine changes things, I think my road trip project will have to be postponed again. I prefer to wait and be able to enter to visit the sites (castles, museums...), the landscapes are breathtaking but the history is also very interesting.
    I will contact you later if things get better.
    Thanks again.
    Have a nice day.

Best regards.

Fabienne

Answers

• VisitScotlandLindsayVisitScotlandLindsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    This will perhaps come to light when travel restrictions begin to lift and people start travelling around again by this mode of transport.

Where is it you are coming from and what area are you looking to head to? At the moment the only thing I can think of, if there is still a need to isolate in May, then it may be a case of contacting some parks in the area you are looking to travel to and asking if they have anything in place. They will know what is expected for motorhomes as restrictions ease and change. If you have an area in mind, I can certainly have a look at sites for you and see if they have anything in place yet or can offer advice?

Kind Regards

Lindsay 
    Hello Lindsay, I'm in France.
     Actually we had planned this road trip of about 2 months for May 2020, starting with Glasgow - Loch Lomond - Oban - Mull - Staffa - Skye - Lewis&Harris - The North Coast 500 and Orkney and Edinburgh to finish. It's a complicated itinerary with hikes planned and I don't think we'll be able to plan anything until things are back to normal.
    Hopefully things will get better for everyone soon.
    Thank you for taking the time to answer me, it's nice of you.

Best regards

Fabienne
    Hi Fabienne

That is no problem at all, that is what we are here for. Your trip sounds amazing and takes in some really beautiful sites, I so hope that you are able to achieve as much of it as possible.

Can I assume that coming from France in a Motorhome, you will be arriving in England 1st and travelling up to Scotland? If this is the case your self isolation, if still needed will be at the point you enter the UK, so there may well be something in place down there. Again, let me know and I can certainly look at it for you, to see if there is any guidance for that area.

Kind Regards

Lindsay