Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Kirks and chapels of Scotland

Hi everyone, I make this topic because in May (if the situation allows me obviously) I'll be travelling by foot only accross the whole Scotland for months. During this trip I would really love to discover the scottish kirks and chapels. In your beautiful country, I know there are a lot of them, full of history,  but I struggle to find them in the internet or the books I find in France. 
It's way easier to find castles and castles's ruins and I definitly will include A LOT of them in my walking trip, but I give so much importance to kirks, chapels, abbeys (even ruins), especially in the countrysides, forests, lands etc. Peacefull places full of history.
I'd be gratefull if someone has any suggestion of patrimony for me to visit.

Thank you very much.

Tagged:

Comments

• VisitScotlandLindsayVisitScotlandLindsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Helios

Thank you for your message and we are happy to hear that you are trying to plan a visit in Scotland. We have some beautiful churches and chapels all over the country, so it really depends which area you are planning to visit. Do you have a preferred area? Unfortunately many of our churches are now locked during the week and only open for services. However if there was one that you came across that you really wanted to visit, you could get in touch with them and they may be able to open it for a visit. Each church will work differently. All churches can be viewed from the outside and their grounds and graveyards can be explored. 

There are lots of Abbeys and Chapels in Scotland all over the country. In the Borders you have the ruins of 4 beautiful abbeys. Melrose Abbey, where the heart of Robert the Bruce is buried, Dryburgh Abbey, burial place of Sir Walter Scott, Jedburgh Abbey and Kelso Abbey. They are run by Historic Environmental Scotland. You can check out their website here for more information on all their buildings, and their explorer pass, which if visiting a few places will save you a bit of money.  There is also Rosslyn Chapel, near Edinburgh and weekly services are still held here. 

I hope this gets you started? If you have a specific area you are planning to visit then I can look for more suggestions for that area.

Please do not hesitate to get back in touch. We look forward to welcoming you to Scotland :smile:

Kind Regards

Lindsay

• Sandy0052Sandy0052 Member
    Douglas Church is an essential for any history buff
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    What a fabulous idea @Helios.

A couple of years ago we visited Aberdeenshire and discovered they have an Historic Churches Trail. Really interesting. I wrote about our visit and including some of the ruins and Pictish stones we went to see: https://www.fullstopnextchapter.com/five-days-in-aberdeenshire/

Here is a link to the full list: https://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/leisure-sport-and-culture/archaeology/sites-to-visit/historic-churches/

I've also found a list for places within the Tayside area too: https://www.britainexpress.com/scotland/Tayside/churches/index.htm 

I hope this helps? 

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube