Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

New trip - advice?

Hello, I am planning a trip to Scotland (according to Covid restrictions) and I would like to have some reccomendations/insights.
I will spend 1 month (working as freelancer, so no phisical restriction) and I am a nature and adventure lover (so any advice related to that will be strongly appreciated).
So...Besides visiting the lochness monster...and drink a countless amount of beers...which suggestions do you have?

Thanks in advance
Joe

Comments

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Are you planning on travelling all around Scotland or using a city as a base?
    Will you be driving or using public transport?
    What are your interests? What do you like seeing and doing?

As Scotland has so much to offer, we will need more info before we can start suggesting things to do!

Cheers
    Graeme
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • joe1010joe1010 Member ✭✭
    Hello Graeme,
    thanks for your reply, actually at the beginning I will be based in Glasgow for one week...then I am open to any solution but my original plan was to start from the South (Galloway Forest Park, Isle of Whithorn, Edinburgh) and then go to the North.

I would like to ask you if you could advice me something non-touristic I can't miss.

I like adventure and nature, climbing, rafting, woodland walks and good beer. I don't need a stable internet connection for my job and I think I'll reach Glasgow by public transport but then I could rent a car (if needed).

Thanks in advance for your useful advices :)
    Joe

are you planning on travelling to the Highlands & Islands?

There are lots of new microbreweries cropping up everywhere for you to taste their beer!

I am based in Perthshire and there are tons of things to do just here. You would need a week at least around this county. This is nicknamed Big-Tree country so there are lots of paths and walks to do.

Pitlochry, Aberfeldy & Grantully are great for outdoor adventures including climbing, water sports of all kinds etc.

Keep your finer details coming and we can adjust and advise on what to see and where to go.

Regards
    Graeme

Best regards
    fishypro
  • VisitScotlandLindsayVisitScotlandLindsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @joe1010

I see on your post above you would think about renting a car. This is by far the best way to get around Scotland and see not only the main sites and attractions but to get off the beaten track and find the hidden gems. Scotland has so much to offer and we often get people asking us which area is the best to visit and it is one that we truly can not answer as each area has something different and unique to offer.

There is so much to see and do its impossible to list everything so please have a look at this link Here you will find all of VisitScotlands Brochures where you can find out more about what the country has to offer. At the bottom you have all our regional guides, you mentioned Glasgow so by looking at the Glasgow Brochure you will find out general information about the area, then you can see all the attractions, then there is accommodation and at the back there will be a couple of maps so you can see roughly where everything is (the attractions all have map coordinates in the corner). There is a guide for every area of Scotland and all brochures work the same.

We also have 26 icentres around Scotland, which can help you with local information when you have decided where you are travelling to or want to know a bit more about what the area has to offer. You can find them all here We are currently working from home but we are answering calls and emails so please do get in touch with any of us. Email addresses are simply the name of the town/[email protected] 

I hope that is of help to you? We look forward to welcoming you to Scotland when restrictions allow :) 

Kind Regards

Lindsay
    Oh thanks so much Graeme,

I really appreciated your advice and the time you spent for me. I created a greeting card for you but I don't know why the forum doesn't allow me to insert it in the post (It appears: You have to be around for a little while longer before you can post links.) :'( It was so nice! So sad for that.

Anyway, Yes I will travel to the Highlands & Islands, in particular a friend of mine adviced me to visit Ross and Cromarty and Inverness counties. I will definitively taste their beer :D<3

I just Googled Perthshire and it seems absolutely adorable and gorgeous, I took note about a couple of paths I would love to walk through!

Finally I saw that Aberfeldy & Grantully are on the River Tay whereas Pitlochry is on the Tummel...which one is the best for rafting? They are on the way to the North so I will definitevely spend time there.

I am starting thinking a month could be not enough LOL :D

Thanks once again for you reccomendations, I'll let you know when I'll have planned all the details.
    Joe
    Hi @joe1010

I see on your post above you would think about renting a car. This is by far the best way to get around Scotland and see not only the main sites and attractions but to get off the beaten track and find the hidden gems. Scotland has so much to offer and we often get people asking us which area is the best to visit and it is one that we truly can not answer as each area has something different and unique to offer.

There is so much to see and do its impossible to list everything so please have a look at this link Here you will find all of VisitScotlands Brochures where you can find out more about what the country has to offer. At the bottom you have all our regional guides, you mentioned Glasgow so by looking at the Glasgow Brochure you will find out general information about the area, then you can see all the attractions, then there is accommodation and at the back there will be a couple of maps so you can see roughly where everything is (the attractions all have map coordinates in the corner). There is a guide for every area of Scotland and all brochures work the same.

We also have 26 icentres around Scotland, which can help you with local information when you have decided where you are travelling to or want to know a bit more about what the area has to offer. You can find them all here We are currently working from home but we are answering calls and emails so please do get in touch with any of us. Email addresses are simply the name of the town/[email protected] 

I hope that is of help to you? We look forward to welcoming you to Scotland when restrictions allow :) 

Kind Regards

Lindsay
    Many thanks also to you Lindsay, I really appreciated the time you spent to write this post too.
    I already feel the warm welcome of Scottish people. I am impatient for this trip and for sure I will take a look at all the brochures you reccomended me, and if needed I'll send emails/get in touch by phone. Really thanks for that.

If I could I would have created and posted a thank you card also for you, you deserved it LOL

All the best
    Joe

The best river for rafting is definitely the Tay (Grantully area between Aberfeldy and Dunkeld)

Cromarty is great to see the dolphins and it is close to the Black Isle Brewery. They have some great beers. 21 Pale & Porter are, for me, great beers.
    Cromarty brewery has one of my favourite beers called Happy Chappy. Although Kowabunga is pretty good too.
    Cairngorm Brewery in Aviemore (Outdoor activity capital of The Cairngorms National Park) is also excellent for tasting beers. Black Gold & Buzz are my favourites.
    In Pitlochry we have a microbrewery, Moulin Brewery produces several flavours including Moulin Light, Braveheart, Vale of Atholl & Old Remedial. I prefer Moulin Light. I only live 10 minutes walk away from here so I go often. It is a great place to visit and to meet the locals.
    The other brewery in the Pitlochry area is in Blair Atholl and it's called Wasted Degrees. They now have a tasting bar there and several brews. Their Hazy IPA is really nice.

Check out the following link to some of the breweries on this map.

Some of the links don't work but you can still use Google.

Regards
    Graeme

Best regards
    fishypro
    fishypro said:

The best river for rafting is definitely the Tay (Grantully area between Aberfeldy and Dunkeld)

Cromarty is great to see the dolphins and it is close to the Black Isle Brewery. They have some great beers. 21 Pale & Porter are, for me, great beers.
    Cromarty brewery has one of my favourite beers called Happy Chappy. Although Kowabunga is pretty good too.
    Cairngorm Brewery in Aviemore (Outdoor activity capital of The Cairngorms National Park) is also excellent for tasting beers. Black Gold & Buzz are my favourites.
    In Pitlochry we have a microbrewery, Moulin Brewery produces several flavours including Moulin Light, Braveheart, Vale of Atholl & Old Remedial. I prefer Moulin Light. I only live 10 minutes walk away from here so I go often. It is a great place to visit and to meet the locals.
    The other brewery in the Pitlochry area is in Blair Atholl and it's called Wasted Degrees. They now have a tasting bar there and several brews. Their Hazy IPA is really nice.

Regards
    Graeme

Amazing! just saw everything. Thanks
    joe1010 said:
    fishypro said:

Regards
    Graeme

Amazing! just saw everything. Thanks

I spent the weekend looking for good place to have a beer in Cairngorms National Park as you recommended me and I found many posts about good gins like Balmenach...(I believe there is a distillery in the park)...I think I will try it too LOL
    Anyway, here is the greeting card I created for you after your first advices. Now I can send it to you :) thanks once again

https://www.leavingcard.com/gb/viewpdf/1609967335375wzQGARQ20wQ4/xrslvr1611513813470.pdf 

Thank you very much for your Thank You card.
    That was very kind of you!

Graeme
    Best regards
    fishypro