Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

renting car

I am an retired RN. Wanting to come to Scotland in summer of 2021 with my daughter. We want to rent a car for a few days and see some sites on our own. We plan on staying in Edinburgh. Would it better to return to Edinburgh each night or plan on staying somewhere along the route we choose. I have read that parking for rental cars is very expensive. Don't know if hotel would have parking space for rental cars and what charge there would be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.     

Answers

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭

Where do you wish to drive to?
    What do you want to see?
    How long are you planning on staying in Edinburgh? or Scotland?

let us know a little more detail and we can provide more help.

Best regards
    Graeme
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • KPriddyKPriddy Member
    Planning on May or June 2021. Would like to drive to Glencoe area one day and then Sterling area.  Should we stay in that area or it is possible to return to Edinburgh at night? Plan on staying at least 7-8 days. 3 days in Edinburgh and at least 2-3 days driving about. Of course interested in Outlander sites but may take tour with some Outlander tour groups for 2 days tour. I read somewhere that parking for a rental car is limited and very expensive so again wondering if better to book overnight stay near area we are going to? 
  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't hire a car whilst staying in Edinburgh. Everything in Edinburgh is reachable on foot or by tram, bus etc.
    I would suggest at least a 2 night stay in Pitlochry. A beautiful old town and from here you can visit Craig na Dun which is close to Kinloch Rannoch.
    Faskally woods by Pitlochry was the setting of the tribal village from Season 4.
    Dunkeld (the next town) town square was used for Season 4 too.
    From Pitlochry you can also reach the highland folk museum in Newtonmore where the rent gathering scene in season one was filmed. The actual village still exists.
    An Outlander tour sounds like a great idea for the places around Edinburgh.
    Close to Inverness is Culloden Battlefield which is very impressive.

Let me know if I can help you any more.
    Graeme

Best regards
    fishypro