Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Craft Town Scotland - West Kilbride

janehunterjanehunter VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
Hi everyone

As an artist inspired by the Scottish landscape, I spend a lot of time travelling around the highlands and islands - climbing hills and scouring coastlines. 
The rest of my time is spent working away in my studio in West Kilbride, bringing this inspiration I have soaked up to my pieces of textile art. 

Located on the North Ayrshire coast, West Kilbride is Scotland's first accredited Craft Town. Winner of a Creative Place Award in 2012 and winner of the Village category in The Great British High Street awards 2015. The community has really come together here to revitalise this beautiful village. 

I feel extremely lucky to be able work here and wanted let you all know what West Kilbride has to offer! 

The Barony Centre is the most stunning old church conversion - Open 7 days 10am - 5pm except Sat 12 - 5pm 
Here you can see many local and international exhibitions throughout the year. Along with workshops & talks.
There is a gallery shop with a wide variety of beautifully designed high quality items to buy and an excellent cafe for coffee and lunch. The cakes are highly recommended! - Open: Mon - Sat 9am - 5pm, Sunday 12 - 5pm

We have now got a total of 10 designer/makers working in the studios on the Main Street, including me :blush:
We have glass artists, a weaver, yarn dyeing, a silversmith, textile art, handmade cards & stationery....
The studios are open to the public Thurs - Sat 11am - 4pm (however many of us are open more extended hours, call to check if you're making a special trip outwith these days)

Each studio is first and foremost our workspace, so you can watch us working, chat about our practices and see exactly what goes in to each piece.We are a friendly bunch!
You can also purchase work directly from the makers and some offer workshops (subject to booking). 

There are also lots of independent shops and cafes in the village - gift shops, butcher, deli, handmade sweets, a designer wedding boutique...

All this and we are just a short walk from the beach with glorious views across the Firth of Clyde to Bute, the Cumbraes, Ailsa Craig and the Isle of Arran, we also have Seamill Hydro and the Waterside Hotel just down the hill if you fancy a luxurious break. 

There are many more things to do around the North Ayrshire coast, lots of great walks, well worth a day trip. We're just 30 miles from the centre of Glasgow and you can also get a train direct to West Kilbride, it's a gorgeous journey!

If you visit be sure to come and say hi :smiley:

Jane 
Scottish Textile Artist
janehunterart.com
Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

Comments

• VisitScotAnnieroseVisitScotAnnierose Member, Administrator, Moderator
    Hey @janehunter! So much creativity in West Kilbride, the Barony Centre always has so many amazing events and exhibitions going on! Love it. 

I've also been writing this town on the VS blog, as well as some of the other creative places in Scotland.

Has anyone else been somewhere crafty and creative in Scotland recently? 
     The Barony Centre, West Kilbride © Ayrshire & Arran Tourism Team