Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Phase 3 imminent - July trip possible?

Hi there,

My girlfriend and I would like to visit Scotland for the first time (before we both go back to work next month) and I wondered if anyone could nudge me toward some good areas to visit and stay in. We're keen on the Western coast with castles, abbeys and nature as our highlights, but are open to any other parts of the country also. We would like to avoid tour groups and just stay independent, and ideally get around either by car or moped rental, but will happily resort to walking and public transport if necessary. 

I read in 'The Scotsman' that the Phase 3 Route might be opening as soon as 9th July, in which case could someone please clarify what this would entail, and whether any of the above would even be possible. 

Thanking you for your help,

Best
Ramin

Comments

• VisitScotlandLindsayVisitScotlandLindsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Ramin82

Thank you so much for your enquiry and we are so pleased to hear that you wish to visit Scotland. As you can imagine at this time there is still a lot of restrictions in place. Yes we are looking to move to Phase 3 hopefully around the 9th July, the tourism industry is not allowed to open until the 15th. With that not all attractions will be open from this date and it is down to each individual attraction as to when they decide to re-open.  So it is best to do your research as this may not be confirmed until nearer the time and each area will be different. Most attractions may have a ticketing procedure in place where you have to pre-book your slot for entering, which may be a challenge if you are relying on public transport.
    The easiest way to get around Scotland is definitely by car so best to check with rental companies how they are operating in the current climate, again they may all be different.

Scotland is such a beautiful country with so much on offer that i would hate for you to come and not be able to experience it at its best. Have  a think about the area you wish to travel to, look at what attractions are available and their websites will give you further guidance on when they are looking to re-open and take into consideration any local lockdown restrictions that may be in place for that area.
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Hi @Ramin82

If it is castles that you are interested in then I would highly recommend Aberdeenshire. With it's own dedicated castle trail it has the highest concentration of castles, mansions and ruins of anywhere in the UK - around 300. 

It has a good mix of walks, castles, beaches and pretty coastal towns. 

I would certainly advise checking in advance with any places you plan to visit to find if they are opening at all, if you need to book in advance or what measures they have in place to protect their staff and guests.  

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube