Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Camping in Scotland

VisitScotlandVisitScotland Administrator
edited February 2016 in Camping and Caravanning

Whether you like beaches, forests, mountains or lakes, there’s a camping spot for everyone in Scotland. Camping sites across Scotland can suit all budgets and tastes and are surrounded by beautiful scenery.

Which camping sites in Scotland would you recommend? Share with the community why you love them! 

Comments

• DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Beautiful places to camp @Ewan! I've haven't tried wild camping, I'd love to though, so this is now on my list and I'll have a look at your wonderful blog! Thank you :)

We've all the camping gear, built this collection up over the last ten years and also learned a few lessons of what not to buy. Every time we went camping we'd always see campers with great tents, tables, cooking facilities, smaller functional items. Space to transport everything is a huge challenge too.

Our first family tent, Urban Escape 6 person, didn't have the ground sheet sown in, so you can guess who came to visit us regularly! Trying to keep those little midge blighters out of our sleeping pods was a challenge! One trip we seen a couple sitting in their Vango Orchy 500 zipped in cosy with mesh doors, keeping the midge out, so that was our next tent!

Our tent collection has grown, now tailored to how many are camping :)
    • Tiso 2 person
    • Omega 350
    • Vango Orchy 500
    • Vango Maritza 700
    We've visited the following campsites, Arisaig, Loch Lomond and Arran being my favourites.
    • Camusdarach, Arisaig
    • Cashel, Loch Lomond
    • Lochranza, Arran
    • Hoddom Castle, Dumfries and Galloway
    • Sands of Luce, Dumfries and Galloway
    We're bad for not trying new campsites though, so this year I think we'll try somewhere new :)

There's nothing better than sleeping, eating and waking up in the great outdoors to a beautiful view, or a short stroll to the beach.

Happy camping!

Dawn-Marie
    I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
  • VisitScotlandMiriamVisitScotlandMiriam Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Ewan those are some beautiful options - maybe I need to dig the tent out this summer! Here is some info for you @DMWScotland about wild camping - good to know before you go! Happy tenting  :)
    I'm an Edinburgher who works in the VisitScotland Content Team - have you seen our blog?
    Thanks 
  • Excellent photos @Ewan. I've only camped in the US but would love to do so here. My other half is rather reluctant due to rain and midges but I'll talk him round eventually  :p

Check out the tinberry travels - sharing stories, adventures and travel related nonsense as I explore the world bit by bit

Find me on twitter & instagram

• Loads of great ideas here. If you want somewhere near to Edinburgh Tantallon campsite in East Lothian is great and very close to the beach.
    My fiance and I did our first wild camp for the summer solstice on top of Goatfell on Isle of Arran!

lt was difficult carrying all of our gear but I loved it! I posted in Isle of Arran on 25 June and on my blog if anyone fancies a look at the photos :). A free room with a view, a wonderful place to stay!

https://community.visitscotland.com/discussion/109/isle-of-arran-ayrshire#latest
  • JoolshornetJoolshornet Member ✭✭
    Love a bit of wild camping too - recently camped next to a Loch at Durness and in the wilds of Glen Roy.  Always a fight for space with the midges though!  With all my gear bungeed on the back of the Harley, it's great to try some out of the way spots.  Waking up on a beach, with a gorgeous loch view and not another soul in site is a wonderful feeling.  Only 7 sleeps to go until the next adventure north!
    @Joolshornet sounds wonderful! I think I'll be trying a bit more wild camping. I really do love that you can pitch in beautiful remote places with not a soul in sight. It's so calming :) Have a great adventure up north and post some pics! :)
  • JoolshornetJoolshornet Member ✭✭
    Here's one from the last camping spot near Durness - photography defo not my strong point!  That's the moon still shining through above the hills, plus a cow and calf taking a dip in the distance (wee white speck half way across the loch!).  
    @Joolshornet beautiful spot and great photo! Wow, waking up to that in the morning, pure bliss. It was cloudy at night when we were on Goat Fell. I was hoping to see the 'real' night sky ... some day I will (without night pollution). Love the coos
  • Nicky0512Nicky0512 Member
    We are visiting Scotland for the 14th time. However this year we have a motorhome and want to wild camp. Our concern relates to where we get our water for all of our services  such as drinking water, flushing etc.Will we have to book into a campsite occasionally to get our water. Any ideas and support would be grateful.      
  • ShetlandSophShetlandSoph Member ✭✭
    Another great campsite to visit is on the island of Yell in Shetland. The Burravoe Campsite is situated next to the marina with some beautiful views. There are also very good facilities there too, including toilets, showers, washing machines and even a microwave. It is also only a few minutes walk from the Old Haa museum, which features a lovely tearoom and a wonderful garden. 
  • EwanEwan VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    Hi @Nicky0512, yes I suggest it will be most convenient to book into a campsite every few days to fill up with drinking water and get rid of grey water.  Most caravan parks are geared up for this and you'll struggle to find proper facilities anywhere else I think.  There are some great informal camping spots for campervans and motorhomes in Scotland - just make sure you adopt common sense principles, arrive late/leave early and don't stay in any one spot more than a night or two.

Exploring Scotland's wild places by foot, bike and camper van

WildaboutScotland blog | Twitter

• HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    I was extremely pleased to experience Scotland this summer as a 1st time camper + backpacker because of the ease of finding campsites & their convenient locations. Here are some of my favourite campsites, all are within a 15 minute walk of a bus stop, perfect for backpackers.

1. Luss camping & caravaning site, Loch Lomond

2. Port Charlotte campsite, Islay

3. Sligachan campsite, Skye (of course)

4. Ardgualich campsite, Loch Tummel (a hidden gem)

We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
    Nothing beats views like that at night and in the morning @Horizons! Beautiful locations!
  • HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Thanks @DMWScotland Next time, I'll try wild camping, I have seen just the best shots & views from people who do summit camps & such :smile:
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
    @horizons I've wild camped once on top of Goat Fell on Arran. It was a brilliant experience and as you say you get the best moments and views! I'm hoping to walk the Arran Coastal Way next year and some of the days will be wild camping too. Happy wild camping!