Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

New Year events in Scotland

VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
New Year in Scotland, also known as Hogmanay to the Scots, is perhaps our biggest and warmest celebration of the year. Everyone seems to know about the huge Hogmanay celebrations in Edinburgh at New Year with the street party and fireworks. But have you any experiences or questions about New Year events around Scotland?

Besides a party, the great tradition at Hogmanay is to do some 'first-footing' and visit friends and neighbours after midnight with some lucky gifts. Every house you visited would have plenty of warm food and drink to 'see-in' the New Year.

In Aberdeen, at midnight we would go outside to listen to all the ships in or near the harbour. They would hoot and blow their horns and then everyone would go out first-footing for the rest of the night.

I once went to Plockton for New Year and they celebrated with fireballs that shot through the air landing onto a little island on which a bonfire was built and a great fire would burn through the night.

Do you have some memorable experiences of New Year around Scotland?

Comments

• FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    For years I lived in Comrie, Perthshire and at Hogmanay they have the Flambeaux which are huge torches consisting of long thick birch poles with tarred rags tightly bound to the top. They are set alight at Midnight and then carried around the village to cast out evil spirits! They are accompanied by the local pipe band and a parade of people dressed up usually comically representing local topics or current news. The Flambeaux are then thrown into the River Earn hopefully taking with them the evil spirits! There is of course a huge street party going on whilst this takes place!
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I live in Edinburgh and have outgrown our big Hogmanay celebrations so this year I'm heading to Ballachulish to stay in a dog friendly en suite, hobbit house with a hot tub.  It's in woodland by a little stream where we plan to chill our bubbles for the bells.  I've been reliably informed that they have fireworks at the old quarry site at Ballachulish.  I'm really looking forward to a Highland Hogmanay for a change.

I bet Plockton was a great venue for a Hogmanay to remember. I love the idea of the ships sounding their horns in Aberdeen too. The Stonehaven fireballs are something I'd also love to see one year. @VisitScotlandJulie
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Samantha_Grant tell us more about this hobbit house, sounds amazing! Do you have a link to their website?
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
    here you go http://www.stayglencoe.co.uk/ 

They're wee wooden lodges but I know a hobbit house when I see one.  :D. Really looking forward to our stay.  Chilled fizz and a hot tub in the woods for Hogmanay should be different.  They're even en-suite and provide breakfast too. @visitscotlandamanda ;
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

@VisitScotlandAmanda So after singing their praises only yesterday the wee hot tub in the woods at Glencoe has been cancelled.  We booked on 14 day free cancellation and no pre payment in advance terms.  £290 for 2 nights.  They contacted me today to try and get full payment upfront now, plus an extra £10 for my westie!  They're now trying to charge new bookings for Hogmanay over £400 for 2 nights!  That's a whopping hike in price. 

I've cancelled and booked the wonderful Park Lodge in Tobermory on the Isle of Mull.  2 nights, b&b plus our ferry £230 so a £70 saving and we get to spend Hogmanay in my favourite plsce on the planet. Beyond excited.  :)