Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

From ports to points of interest?

Hello!
I'm new here, and hoping to be a first-timer to Scotland this year, which I'm very excited about. We are likely visiting by cruise ship, which I know will just make us want to come back for a much longer trip. My question is, how hard will it be to get from the ports to points of interest? We like to explore, and don't really want to be on a canned cruise tour, but also want to be able to get around in the short period of time we have at each stop. If we land in South Queensferry, how hard/costly is it to get to Edinburgh? And then to the castle, etc. Also curious about Greenock to Glasgow. Hoping for reasonably priced, easy-to-use options. Thank you in advance!

Comments

• FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Hi @rmck

There is a train station not far from South Queensferry at Dalmeny. This will take you right into the city centre in around 15/20 minutes. You could also get the bus but this would take longer. An off peak return ticket for the train is about £5. 

The castle is a 10 minute walk from Waverley station. 

I'm not sure about Greenock to Glasgow. 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • rmckrmck Member
    Thank you so much @fullstopnextchapter! Is the train station at Dalmeny walkable from South Queensferry? And is the Hop-on-Hop-off bus a good way to get around the city at our own pace? Or is everything close enough to walk? (We're a pretty active family, and like to walk, but do need to keep the kids happy so they continue to travel with us! :) )
    Thank you for your help! I so appreciate it!