Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Is Kyleakin a good place to stay while visiting Skye?

As a non-driving tourist using mainly buses to get around the island, I am worried that staying at Kyleakin would not be very practical. I am trying to understand the buses' timetables and routes but it turned up to be more complex than I thought. Also, is it easy to find marketplaces for food? My plan is to spend 3 days there and visit as many villages, spending as little as possible.

Best Answer

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    @Bruna_Maria, as a non-driving tourist myself, I can wholeheartedly recommend Portree as a base over Kyleakin. Most Skye bus routes go through Portree and here are a few ideas of bus based trips based on what I've done before (make sure you plan from the latest timetables from the Stagecoach website)
    • Old Man of Storr hike
    • Raasay via Sconser ferry terminal and Sligachan
    • Uig
    • Elgol
    Definitely worth taking a day trip around the island with a local tour operator such as Skye Scenic Tours as many of the natural attractions aren't directly accessible by bus. Here's one of the four tours I have taken with them as an example.

Do not hesitate to ask any follow-up questions