Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Things in Edinburgh with kids.

Hello,
We’ll be celebrating my sons 7th birthday while in Edinburgh on April 13th. We’d welcome any advice in fun & interesting things to do that is fun for the whole family. 

Also, my husband would love to sample some whiskey, so any tasting/distillery’s that are family friendly would be great!

thanks!!

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Highly recommend the wee triangle formed by the Scotch Whisky Experience (the silver tour is family-friendly, FAQ), the Camera Obscura for your son and Edinburgh Castle (include the 1 PM cannon firing time for maximum fun). At the end of this, consider a splurge lunch at the Witchery restaurant (truly magical ambience, definitely pre-book) and cap it off with a self-created whisky tasting at the Bow Bar. IMO, a pretty perfect day out.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)

• FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Hi @Jodislyn

Obvious choice would be the castle. Great place to explore and will give you great views over the city. 

The Royal Yacht Britannia is also really interesting and they usually include a treasure hunt for children to get involved with. 

The National Museum of Scotland is also perfect for both adults and children. Plenty of interactive displays for children (and the big kids) to explore. Entry is free and it's well worth visiting. 

Camera Obscura at the top of the Royal Mile (close to the castle) and another really fun attraction. 

Dynamic Earth is a really clever and engaging way of explaining science, the big bang and geology. 

Just outside the city (a short bus or taxi ride) then I can highly recommend Edinburgh Zoo.  

The most obvious choice is the Scotch Whisky Experience and they are also on the Royal Mile. 

If it was a real working distillery tour that your husband is interested in, I can recommend Glenkinchie Distillery. They are just outside the city and offer a shuttle service from the city centre to the distillery. Tasting at the end of the tour too. 

I hope this helps? 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    In addition to the wonderful suggestions above, there are plenty of family-friendly events in Edinburgh around your date.

The Puppet Animation Festival is the UK's longest-running annual performing arts event for children. Find out more at 
    https://puppetanimationfestival.org/  

The Lion King (West End production) is showing at the Playhouse Theatre
    https://www.visitscotland.com/info/events/the-lion-king-p2105771 

The big exhibition at the National Museum of Scotland is the child-friendly Tyrannosaurs. This exhibition is not free (family ticket £22).

The very child-friendly Edinburgh Science Festival will also be in full swing (mostly at the City Arts Centre) https://www.sciencefestival.co.uk/