Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Train Schedule

Hello, My husband and I are planning a 21 day visit to Scotland for September, 2020. We plan to go to some of the more out of the way places but we are finding it difficult to find out if the rail system will get us there.  I have used thetrainline.com to verify there are in fact trains to get us to and from most of our destinations. Side note: Impressive rail system UK! My question to anyone who can assist is this. How can I find out the train schedule for September? I'm wondering if trains are as frequent on a Sunday as they are during the week. I'd hate to reserve lodging and activities only to find out we can't get from point A to point B in time to keep our reservations.

Comments

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @AnnetteTodd, Have you tried Scotrail for your traintimes? Where do you want to visit? Give us the dates & times and we can help you out.

Best regards
    fishypro
  • Hi @AnnetteTodd

Scotrail is a major train company in Scotland.. and you'll find very frequent travel times and amazing service with the train systems in the UK.. even on a Sunday. Be sure to always be on time (even early) for your departures.. they leave right down to the very minute and we've nearly missed a couple of trains because of that. 

Anywho, I think it will depend on how remote your travels are going to be to determine how frequent departures are. September is a great time to visit Scotland though! 

Rome2Rio (there are an app and a website) that help determine how to get from point A to point B. We love using them as they compare all different types of transportation and have direct links to booking! 

Have a lovely vacation! We lived in Scotland for 2.5 years, and I'd love to help you plan out places to visit and things to do! :) 
  • VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff

Traveline Scotland has a very useful journey planner tool to find out what public transport is available between two locations on any given date. This is also helpful to find out how to get to locations that do not have a train station:

https://www.travelinescotland.com/

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @AnnetteTodd, the summer timetable for ScotRail isn't out yet but it is in the 1-3 month window for releasing their summer timetables.

Sundays do have far fewer trains than weekdays (this is something you can verify with the current timetable) so I would strongly recommend travelling on non-Sundays.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)