Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Scotland Honeymoon Road Trip (9 Days)

Hi all,

Getting married next year and just booked our tickets to Scotland - now we have to fill in the days. Can anyone provide input on if this is doable? Going in July. I don't have all the activities included but that's the general idea! Driving everywhere and making a bunch of stops along each way. Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Travel Day

10PM land in Glasgow

Sleep in Glasgow

Day 1

Wake up in Glasgow, get rental car. Drive to Fort William

Oban

Loch Lomond

Glencoe

Sleep in Fort William

Day 2

Wake up in Fort William. Drive to Isle of Skye

Ben Nevis hike (do in morning before departure)

Sleep in Isle of Skye

Day 3

Wake up in Isle of Skye

Old Man of Storr

Duntulm Castle

Talisker Bay

Fairy Pools

Sleep in Isle of Skye

Day 4

Wake up in Isle of Skye. Drive to Inverness

Kyle of Lochalsh

Sleep in Inverness

Day 5

Wake up in Inverness

Loch Ness

Sleep in Inverness

Day 6

Wake up in Inverness. Drive to Aberdeen

Culloden Battlefield

Board overnight ferry to Shetland

Day 7

Wake up on ferry in Shetland

St. Nininnan’s Isle

Board overnight ferry to Aberdeen

Day 8

Wake up on ferry in Aberdeen. Drive to Edinburgh

Stonehaven

Stirling

Falkirk statues

Sleep in Edinburgh

Day 9

Wake up in Edinburgh

Bus tour?

Mary Queen’s Close

Drive to Glasgow

Return rental car

Sleep in Glasgow

Travel Day

7AM flight to Boston

Comments

• VisitScotlandLindsayVisitScotlandLindsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Sounds like a really good trip and you are definitely going to see the main sites. At this time of year it is always best to have your accommodation booked in advance. Scotland can get very busy in the summer and in places such as Skye the accommodation goes very quickly.

Day 5 you said about doing Loch Ness but on day 4 you could drive from the Kyle of Lochalsh along the A87 which takes you along the side of Loch Ness. 
    Also Day 1 it would be better to do Loch Lomond 1st before Oban.

• FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Wow, @gingersnap21_22 that is a packed itinerary, for sure! 

Day 1 - from Glasgow you will reach Loch Lomond first as it's not far from the city. Oban and Glen Coe are in opposite directions if your end goal for the day is Fort William. You might want to think about this when planning your time as traffic can be full on at that time of year. Although the long day light hours will afford you more time you really don't want to be rushing. 

Day 2 - Do you plan to get to the top of Ben Nevis? It took me around 8 hours (up and down). If the weather is not good or you wanted to do another walk, then I would highly recommend Steall Falls which is further down Glen Nevis. A very impressive waterfall and a good chance of seeing golden eagles too. 

Day 4 - I would recommend the sweet village of Plockton rather than Kyle of Lochalsh. Your drive from Skye to Inverness will take you alongside Loch Ness. You could either stop off on your way through or as planned spend day 5 exploring Urquhart Castle and taking boat trips etc. 

Day 7 - A 12 hour ferry trip to Shetland is a quite something for a day! It would be expensive too at that time of year. Shetland is stunning and I love it but this is rather ambitious. 

Day 9 - A bus tour would give you a great overall view of the city.  

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube

• Day 1

Wake up in Glasgow, get rental car. Drive to Fort William

Oban

Loch Lomond

Glencoe

Sleep in Fort William

You’d be more likely to do Loch Lomond, Oban, Glen Coe and then Fort William. Glen Coe is a smallish diversion if you want to get into the Glen itself but it’s worth the stop.

Day 2

Wake up in Fort William. Drive to Isle of Skye

Ben Nevis hike (do in morning before departure)

Sleep in Isle of Skye

I would advise caution on this one, you’ll need approx 8 hours up and down to the summit and you do need a decent level of fitness. If you did an early start – if it’s summer, start off at say 6am, down for 2pm (ish) and that gives you the rest of the day to drive to Skye.

Day 3

Wake up in Isle of Skye

Old Man of Storr

Duntulm Castle

Talisker Bay

Fairy Pools

Sleep in Isle of Skye

Day 4

Wake up in Isle of Skye. Drive to Inverness

Kyle of Lochalsh

Sleep in Inverness

Day three and four look ok, Kyle of Lochalsh is not worth a long stop but I would recommend stopping in Plockton, as already mentioned, it’s a pretty little village that sits down by the Loch. You could then go up via Achnasheen and Garve to Inverness.

Day 6,7 and 8 look, with all due respect, utterly mental. It’s a 12 hour ferry ride to Shetland and I would say a waste of time and money if you only plan to spend a few hours on the Island only to head back to Aberdeen. If you go to Shetland then you really need to spend a few days there to get the best of it and to enjoy it. It’s a noisy ferry journey too so don’t expect to get 8 hours of unbroken sleep unless you're used to doing long ferry journeys

What strikes me is that you’re planning a pretty full on week where you’re not going to properly relax. Rather than a whistle stop tour around the country why not spend your week concentrating on a couple of areas and really getting to know them?

I would suggest:

Day 1 – pick up hire car. Travel to Fort William via Glen Coe. Spend a bit of time walking and enjoying the Glen and then overnight in Fort William. Oban is nice but you could skip it on this trip.

Day 2 – Climb Ben Nevis. Enjoy the views. Have dinner in the Ben Nevis Inn, enjoy a pint sitting outside in the sun (it will be sunny, honest!) and stay overnight again in Fort William

Day 3 – Leave early and drive to Skye, stop off at Eilean Donan Castle on the way, maybe divert and have lunch in Plockton. Arrive in Skye late afternoon.

Day 4 – Explore Skye – visit the Fairy Glen, Trotternish etc. Or factor in a day walking. Head to Elgol for amazing views of The Cuillin and walk the coastal path to Camusanary.

Day 5 – Take the ferry from Uig to Tarbert on Harris and head North to see the Calanais Stones and Carloway Broch. Head to Port Nis and check out the beach at Eoropie.  Overnight in Stornoway. Alternatively spend the day exploring Harris (Luskentyre, Seilebost) before driving North to explore Lewis

Day 6 – Another day on the Island. The west coast is fantastic, and you’ve got Blackhouses, galleries and huge beaches to explore.

Day 7 – Morning ferry from Stornoway to Ullapool. You can be on the shores of Loch Ness in about 90 minutes. Visit Urquhart Castle and maybe go on one of the many boat-rides available. Overnight Inverness, catch some live music in town and go for a stroll on the River Ness

Day 8 – Drive to Edinburgh, you can be there by lunchtime if you leave at about 9am. Or go to Culloden first and be in Edinburgh for late afternoon.

Day 9 – spend the day in Edinburgh doing Edinburgh things and head to Glasgow late afternoon.

I think doing something like this would be much less stressful and you’d really enjoy some of the best Scotland has to offer. If you really want to head to Shetland I’d actually suggest changing your trip entirely and spending a few days in Shetland, then going to Orkney for a few days and returning via Stromness and driving back to Glasgow via Inverness. You’d still be able to see Loch Ness and Culloden that way and you could probably squeeze in an Edinburgh trip too. Bear in mind the cost of ferries and getting something booked may be a challenge too.

Sorry if that’s a little negative but I’d hate for you to come all this way and be disappointed!

• VisitScotlandLindsayVisitScotlandLindsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Scotland maybe doesnt look big on a map compared to other countries but it has so much on offer that it is truly impossible to see everything in one trip. It depends how you like your holidays to be, if you like them jam packed or if you do want to take the time out to relax a bit. It also depends what you are really interested in. If you are really into your walking then that plays a factor as you don't want to find yourself out walking but not being able to get to the summit or the best view etc because you have to be in your next location. There are many places that you could spend a couple of nights at and then explore that area a little better. Give yourself the time to enjoy Scotland.