Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

7 days in Scotland and need advice on travel

Hello.  7 days in Scotland, in September.  Glasgow is the "hub" for us. What is the best way to get to Isle of Skye, see Fort William, the highlands, etc.? Plan to rent a car as we have some family history to research as well around Glasgow, but not sure we want to drive that far.  Thank you.

Best Answers

• VisitScotlandLindsayVisitScotlandLindsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Accepted Answer
    Car is definitely the best way to see all the amazing hidden gems in Scotland. However if you do not wish to drive the whole of that distance you could get the train from Glasgow to Fort William and then hire a car from there. There are so many lovely places to visit up that part of the country and some of them you would be unable to get to if you were going by public transport.
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Cshatto. Travelling around by car is by far the best way to see Scotland. However, there are a variety of tour companies that can take the strain of driving. The downside to this will be they have a set itinerary and these may not be places you had in mind. But if it's just sightseeing, then maybe this would suit? 

Another alternative and would depend on your budget would be hiring a private (Blue Badge) tour guide. I can suggest one if this is something you think would suit. 

If you decide to stick to hiring a car then my first recommendation would be to allow enough time for photo stops, traffic, rest breaks etc. 
    Personally, for me, if I were planning to take a trip to Skye from Glasgow I would allow three days for this. One day to get up there. A day exploring and a day to drive back. The drive up through Glen Coe and Fort William is spectacular and you will want to take your time. 

Glasgow is my favourite city. 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube

Answers

• CshattoCshatto Member
    Thank you kindly. I will definitely look into hiring a car and taking the train!  I want my husband to enjoy the sites as well and not just have to focus on the road as the driver. 
  • CshattoCshatto Member
    Thank you kindly for the options.  I'm going to have to sit down with my husband and mother-in-law and get their thoughts and make a decision soon.  I am just so excited and don't want to miss a thing!!😃