Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Tours vs. Solo

I went to Scotland a few years ago with a friend and we just kind of moved around by ourselves.  I feel I got to see quite a bit, but there are some things I didn't get to see.  Now, next year I want to take my mother, as she has always wanted to see Scotland, but she's getting a little older and I worry about making her walk overly much, so I was thinking about relying a lot on the tours that are sold.  Will that be a good way to see Scotland?  I worry it will only be places filled with tourists and we won't get much of the authentic Scottish experience, but on the other hand I worry about my mother doing too much and not enjoying herself.  What's everyone's thoughts on this?  Thanks!!!

Comments

• FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Hello @princess_becca

I see your dilemma. Maybe it would be worth doing a combination of the two. There are plenty of tours that vary from day trips to three or four days. All you would have to do is decide which one covers the things you are most interested in. 

The tour buses are normally on a tight schedule and allow only a set amount of time to look around places. However, they are perfect to allow visitors to get a feel for a place. 

Another option, depending on your budget would be to hire a private tour guide. They will liaise with you about all of interests and provide you with a personalised tour. 

You could also just base yourselves in one place for the duration of your visit and have day trips out. The public transport here is good, so getting around isn't a problem. 

One good thing to remember is to do whatever you want. Wherever you and your mum go, it will be your version of Scotland. That is what will make your trip authentic. 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube